Gulrok

Ready for my next machine - recommendations?

Hi folks.

Almost two years ago I purchased my first leather sewing machine - a Techsew 2750 Pro. We initially were sewing bags and wallets, and at some point during the pandemic shifted to more strap goods.

We're sewing about 11-13oz leather straps at this point with 207 thread. The problem I'm having is that we're at the far max of our sewing capabilities (207 thread) thus we're running into some problems. At this point we're ready to add another machine to the collection. We're basically now fulltime sewing 207 thread. (Wanting to play with 277 as well). Somewhere around 10-20 hours of sewing a week. Our 2750 pro isn't cutting it anymore. 

But we're having some trouble figuring out what machine to go with next....  Obviously we don't want to max our thread size at 207.. we probably need to be mid 300s-400s. Something else to consider is that depending on the project and hardware (fire & ems equipment) we've gone as far as 3 layers thick of 11-13 oz leather (vary rarely). Mostly just 2 layers. So 1/2" to 3/4" pressure foot is probably not a bad idea. 

A 441 Clone? 
Alder 205-370?
Some pfaff variant?

Not saying either that price doesn't matter, but something that gets the job done on the cheaper/reliable size would be a good thing. 

Maybe used machines to keep an eye out for?

Edited by Gulrok

G'Day, 

I'd be going with a Cowboy 4500 or Techsew 5100 , or other 441 variant. 

277 M10 is what I and many others on here use for the heavy stuff . 

Have a chat with 'Wizcrafts' . 

HS

I use a Cowboy CB4500 for thick or hard leather, as well as heavy webbing tow straps. I only use this machine for items needing #138 and larger thread. I do occasionally use my 100 year old Singer 42-5 flat bed for hemming heavy chaps and some upholstery because it can run heavy thread if need be. All other sewing with thinner thread is done on my various standard duty machines.

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day, 

I'd be going with a Cowboy 4500 or Techsew 5100 , or other 441 variant. 

277 M10 is what I and many others on here use for the heavy stuff . 

Have a chat with 'Wizcrafts' . 

HS

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I use a Cowboy CB4500 for thick or hard leather, as well as heavy webbing tow straps. I only use this machine for items needing #138 and larger thread. I do occasionally use my 100 year old Singer 42-5 flat bed for hemming heavy chaps and some upholstery because it can run heavy thread if need be. All other sewing with thinner thread is done on my various standard duty machines.

I think I'm between the Cowboy CB4500 or the Cobra Class 4P. Essentially the same machine from what I'm reading.

Not that techsew isn't a quality company... but my current machine has been a nightmare from hell, and during the pandemic their support (understandably so) lacked a lot. I know Ron and his team are good people, .. but it left a taste in my mouth. We went a few weeks without a control box on our machine because it gave up the ghost (a capacitor exploded). Being in America made everything take longer too. So it isn't anything against Techsew, just want to get something from an America dealer instead.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:22 PM, Gulrok said:

Not that techsew isn't a quality company... but my current machine has been a nightmare from hell, and during the pandemic their support (understandably so) lacked a lot. I know Ron and his team are good people, .. but it left a taste in my mouth. We went a few weeks without a control box on our machine because it gave up the ghost (a capacitor exploded). Being in America made everything take longer too. So it isn't anything against Techsew, just want to get something from an America dealer instead.

Sorry to hear this. Like most other companies during covid we're dealing with a much higher sales volume and more support requests than ever. We make it a point to get back to everyone within a maximum of 24 hours. I would have to look into your specific order to see what happened with the control box but this is certainly not the norm. Most of our customers are in the US and it is never really a concern with express shipping options available.
Please feel free to contact me personally by dm, phone or email ron@techsew.com and I'd be happy to assist with anything.
regards,
Ron

If the machine is going to used for industrial rather then hobby needs why not seriously look at a true Juki 441, yes the cost is going to be much higher but..

kgg

11 hours ago, Techsew Ron said:

Sorry to hear this. Like most other companies during covid we're dealing with a much higher sales volume and more support requests than ever. We make it a point to get back to everyone within a maximum of 24 hours. I would have to look into your specific order to see what happened with the control box but this is certainly not the norm. Most of our customers are in the US and it is never really a concern with express shipping options available.
Please feel free to contact me personally by dm, phone or email ron@techsew.com and I'd be happy to assist with anything.
regards,
Ron

Hi Ron,

I totally understand the challenge with the global pandemic. I hope you don’t take it as an attack. I know your machines are good and your team is good. 

My challenges with my machine are because I put all my eggs in one basket. It’s my only machine. 

I totally get the challenge of getting more volume in orders but being unable to get more on the support side. (Currently where I’m at). 

I’ll send you a personal DM with just some direct feedback.