Sign in to follow this  
MoonlightFarm

F.O. Baird Western saddle

Hello friends, I have recently inherited a very old western saddle manufactured by F. O. Baird and would love to know a little more about the manufacturer. I have found very little information through my internet searches as to age and value. Penny for your thoughts ! 

If i can figure out how to upload a photo i will for reference

Baird is a legend in the leathercraft universe. If you have an actual F. O. Baird saddle, you have a treasure.

14” F.O.BAIRD Western SADDLE 1947 Very Rare Highly Collectable | eBay

FO Baird - Bio | High Noon Western Auction

F O Baird, Los Angeles Saddle (icollector.com)

Friend's F.O. Baird Saddle - Leather History - Leatherworker.net

RARE: 1976 Leather Secrets by F. O Baird - Saddle makers art fold-out patterns | eBay

Floyd Oliver “Baird” Baird (1896-1971) - Find A Grave Memorial

F.O. Baird, Los Angeles Parade Saddle (icollector.com)

Fantastic, brown basket weave Saddle by noted California Leathersmith and Saddle Maker F.O. Baird in | Art, Antiques & Collectibles  Collectibles  Culture & Ethnicities  Western Americana Collectibles  | Online Auctions | Proxibid

That should give some idea of what you have.

Baird is a legend in the leathercraft universe. If you have an actual F. O. Baird saddle, you have a treasure.

RARE: 1976 Leather Secrets by F. O Baird - Saddle makers art fold-out patterns | eBay

Fantastic, brown basket weave Saddle by noted California Leathersmith and Saddle Maker F.O. Baird in | Art, Antiques & Collectibles  Collectibles  Culture & Ethnicities  Western Americana Collectibles  | Online Auctions | Proxibid

That should give some idea of what you have. And pictures would be nice.:)

FO Baird was a well known leather crafter as early as the 1930's.  He predated Al Stohlman.  He bought a saddle company from the Braydon Brothers located in Los Angeles around 1938, and I believe made saddles up to the early 60's.  Some of his saddles were unique in design, and often geared more for looks than a real working saddle.  They were well made and many are quite serviceable even today.  The two that I have repaired and conditioned were really nice saddles, but I wouldn't ride in one.  As far as price, they are more of a collectors saddle, so you would get better money through an auction.

29 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

That should give some idea of what you have.

That should give some idea of what you have. And pictures would be nice.:)

I have a link to photos in my original post. Here it is again. https://photos.app.goo.gl/FGUt4YYFAexcmgTD8

19 minutes ago, Goldshot Ron said:

FO Baird was a well known leather crafter as early as the 1930's.  He predated Al Stohlman.  He bought a saddle company from the Braydon Brothers located in Los Angeles around 1938, and I believe made saddles up to the early 60's.  Some of his saddles were unique in design, and often geared more for looks than a real working saddle.  They were well made and many are quite serviceable even today.  The two that I have repaired and conditioned were really nice saddles, but I wouldn't ride in one.  As far as price, they are more of a collectors saddle, so you would get better money through an auction.

Thank you for the insight.  Here's a link to some photos.  I did start reconditioning the leather and it's taking Lederbalsam quite nicely. For as old as this looks to be I'd consider the leather to be in very good shape. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FGUt4YYFAexcmgTD8

These photos, in my opinion, would be an early F.O. Baird saddle.  His later saddles were more refined, and were designed more around western equitation.