DirtyDusty

Fender design

I am in the process of making my patterns. In the stohlman book it shows the fender leg departing at a forward angle, If the fender was hanging down. Is this normal or is it one of their designs they preferred to use?

Hmm, not sure about forward leaning. The book has some good info on fender design.  Their shape is unique. I've made a few saddles, so am no super expert, but found good guidance on making fender patterns in the Harry Adams book. A simpler sleeker design. Seems like different styles of saddles have different shaped fenders. Make one that fits the design and function of your saddle, and looks good to you.   --John

Hello Dirty Dusty,

Fender design, like a lot of saddle design, is fairly subjective.  Goal of a fender is to protect your leg from the sweaty side of horse while working with your stirrup leathers to actually support your foot.

I personally do not like the aesthetic of a fender than angles forward and then returns back.  Here is a picture of they shape I prefer and it has never caused me any issues in the years I have road this saddle.

3-02.jpg.c2d969502645c25755ce8bcfe00e09a7.jpg

RDL

Like John, my fenders are based on the Harry Adams book, or some variation. I basically have two patterns that look very similar; one is just an inch wider (based on a customer request).

Randy

Dusty,

I think Ron mentioned this, design is up to the customer or you.  Stohlman's pattern makes sense in some ways, but is old fashion looking.  There are more shapes and patterns than you can shake a stick at, some good, some not so good.  I always look at it this way: 1. is it narrow enough at the top to be adjusted up into the leather's slot, and yet can still have swing; 2) is the top/back wide enough not to pinch the rider's leg if he is spurring backward; 3) does it go far enough down at the stirrup tail to keep the rider's pant legs from soaking up the horse's sweat; and, does it look aesthetically pleasing.  I like a fender with a little forward angle (forward of the stirrup leathers) to allow for forward swing and when stretching the leathers, can be shaped outward with a little flare.  Ron's photo is a good example for a design, but see how the leathers are slightly ahead of the fender.  What I have mentioned with flaring out the front of the fender, this will allow the fender to run up over the leathers.

Go for it pard, just do it and have fun with the results.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:18 PM, rdl123 said:

Hello Dirty Dusty,

Fender design, like a lot of saddle design, is fairly subjective.  Goal of a fender is to protect your leg from the sweaty side of horse while working with your stirrup leathers to actually support your foot.

I personally do not like the aesthetic of a fender than angles forward and then returns back.  Here is a picture of they shape I prefer and it has never caused me any issues in the years I have road this saddle.

3-02.jpg.c2d969502645c25755ce8bcfe00e09a7.jpg

RDL

Great work! How did you get the stirrups to hang that way? I'm not even thinking about saddle making but I'm hoping it's something that can be done to bought saddles...

The stohlman book has tables for fender length and stirrup leather relationship, depending on which hardware is used, is it accurate?  Or is there a better chart for determining fender length and stirrup leather length?

2 hours ago, DirtyDusty said:

The stohlman book has tables for fender length and stirrup leather relationship, depending on which hardware is used, is it accurate?  Or is there a better chart for determining fender length and stirrup leather length?

I have used Stohlman's table for these lots of times and like not having to always be figuring out or come up with the right numbers.  Everything is subjective, but using these tables for me keeps it simple and uncomplicated.  

I also like the Stohlman style of fender.