purplepixi

Changing the needle holder Singer 138G101

I recently acquired a Singer 138G101 - I think it's the same as the 138W101. I can't seem to find much information about it online, so I'm guessing the G means it was made in Germany. Needle feed, twin post bed machine.

We've given it a good clean and a service, and it works like a charm. However, I recently found another machine with a rather cool needle holder, so you can use it as a twin needle with knock out function: https://www.tysew.co.uk/industrial-sewing-machines/twin-needle/singer-138w101-twin-needle-needle-feed-post-bed-industrial

So I went on a hunt. I found the needle holder. It's arrived today. However.... it is quite a lot longer than the original. The thread fits, but obviously the needle bar is now too long. Does anyone know how I would go about installing this. It's 20mm longer than the original. Could I rise the needle bar that much or would I need to install a shorter needle bar? If so does anyone know the part number?

Thank you

2021-04-08-14-23-31.jpg

2021-04-08-14-22-46.jpg

2021-04-08-14-22-08.jpg

OK, I've had a hunt. The parts catalogs for the 138W101 and the 138G101 have different numbers for the needle bar. 138G101 - 267267, 138W101 - 223686.

I've found them on college-sewing.co.uk (I'm in the UK - so not an issue). Their website says that the one for 138G101 is a screw in type and the other one is a push in type. I'm not entirely sure if that refers to the bottom of the bar where the needle holder goes or whether it's how it fits in... Also no idea if the lengths are different.

So I'm going to investigate a bit more. Still open to any ideas.

You can do 1 of 2 things,either get a new needlebar for the new needle holder you have or get a new needle holder for a Singer 112w140.