AzShooter

Tried An Avenger Style For My Revolver

I decided to try to make an Avenger Style holster for my Smith & Wesson K-Frame Revolver.  I used 8 ounce leather for the front and backed it with 3 ounce.  Used Tandy 3/4 inch stamps for my initials and Tandy's Basket Weave and Boarder Stamp.  

It's set for an inch and a half belt with no rake.  

The gun fits nice and tight; almost like it was made for it.

I used Cobra and accented it with black leather and white stitching.  The holster is tan that I used antiquing on.  I think the antiquing got too dark and then washed away a bit before forming.  I have to remember the steps and use my sheen before molding the holster.  I lost a little bit of color but I think it has an appearance of being an older holster with some wear.

All hand punched with a rotary punch and a 1.5 punch with hand stitching.  I decided to use white to offset the black.

Any and all criticisms are welcome.  It's the only way to learn.

Avenger Syle.jpg

Avenger rear view.jpg

Overall, I like it.  I don't mind the "accidental" color, and I DO like the stitching all the way around.  Looks like it sits in there nice like, and leaves plenty o room fer grabbin'.

Can't really say about the "swell" behind the guard... maybe it makes the thing more stable?

Only thing, I likely woulda dun the belt slot WIDER... little more bearing surface.  But, this is a trade - off with revolvers... too narrow, it's "floppy", too wide (in relation to the cylinder" and it wants to bind (though it pulls the butt in real nice).

And not a "for" or "against" thing, I personally don't care for snake on holsters at all.  Or belts.  I've done it, but it wasn't my choice.

Thanks.  I  appreciate your comments.

Performance center or aftermarket cylinder release?  Those things give me fits on my field holster with strap, similar to what you are doing.  If they don't tell me the strap is too short to get over the release and to the snap.  

Slight point of nomenclature.  lol  Avengers have a single loop on the rear and forward rake.  But lots of folks call almost any folded over holster an Avenger.  Some care, some don't.  

I like the color.  I have a thing for browns that are not perfectly colored.  Mottled is good IMO.  Adds character.  

I for one, really like the cobra inlay.  The front of the holster is very attractive. 

I agree with JLS that the belt slots are a bit close together.  On a “traditional” avenger the leather that goes around forms an “L” to make a wider belt loop. The back of the holster is extends out past the trigger guard area & a slot is cut in both halves of the holster.  This pulls it tight against the wearer.  

I for one, can’t stand a floppy holster.  I like my field & concealment holster tight against the body. 

Thanks for the replies.  I've learned something and will do it on the next holster.

Hi, you know, if you going to put the "swell" behind the trigger guard, you might as well use the extra space to put more slot area for the belt.

Later

The "Avenger" moniker came from Bianchi's "Askins Avenger" design, named for Colonel Charles Askins (a noted author and combat shooting instructor), and was actually a rendition of the earlier "Professional Model" by Bruce Nelson. Both John Bianchi and Bruce Nelson were law enforcement officers who developed businesses in holster making. The basic design dates back to the mid-to-late 1960s when Nelson was a narcotics detective and John Bianchi was transitioning from city cop/part-time holster maker to major international businessman (over 40 million products delivered prior to his ultimate retirement, while also rising to the rank of Brigadier General in the USAF Reserves).

Interestingly, this general design was one of the earliest examples of production holsters that provided a fully-covered trigger guard area. Most holsters for law enforcement and sportsmen prior to that time did not cover the trigger or guard area completely, but in today's market that has become a "carved in stone" requirement.

What we now refer to as the Avenger design is a modified scabbard-style made of a single piece of leather for the holster body joined at the rear (behind the trigger guard area) by a pancake-style belt slot, with an applied belt loop behind the holstered handgun. The applied belt loop serves to support the weight of the handgun while the rear belt slot serves to pull the grip-frame snugly into the body. A good combination for either revolver or semi-auto that provides an excellent balance of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealment.

More meanderings by an old retired holster-maker and cop.

Best regards.

Thanks to all the responders.  I appreciate the information and will use it on my future holsters.