Sign in to follow this  
bigsig11010

Roller foot? Could you and would you?

I have a Seiko stw 8/consew 225. I’ve seen videos of machines using a roller foot. Could I put a roller foot on my machine and I guess more importantly why would I want or need to?

I don't know of any roller foot that mounts onto a walking foot machine's presser bar. They usually bolt onto a straight stitch machine that only has one foot. You might have to replace the presser bar to do this. Then, the inside foot would have to go. This would leave you with the problem of the inline feed dog making contact on only its left side. Then you'd have an issue when the feed dog drops to move forward. The roller would push the work down into the big slot in the throat plate.

I would be simpler to buy a straight stitch machine that meets your requirements, then buy a roller foot/feed dog/throat plate conversion kit. Th throat plate has a narrow slot that the roller doesn't drop into. The feed dog is also narrow, but with aggressive teeth.

EDIT: deleted - got you wrong. :whistle:

I would not "downgrade" a walking foot machine even if it was possible. better look for a needle feed or drop feed machine you can convert. A cheap Singer 31 / 31K comes to my mind. The 31K has the same bed size as your 225 so you can just switch the machine heads as needed (space saving) but you may need a 2nd V-Belt.

Edited by Constabulary

Great info. Thanks.