DirtyDusty

Stirrup leather clearance

So as most of the guys who have been commenting on my post and helping me out greatly know, I am trying to build my first saddle. It’s for a mule and I ordered a HF tree and it had issues. So I went the custom route and ordered one, which came in this past fall. Due to time issues, I am just now getting back on this project. I been watching the Jeremiah Watt video and learning from it too. I started laying out where my stirrup will lay on the tree. Using the method that Jeremiah Watt uses, he suggest 3 3/8” clearance fir a 3” leather. He also says they should be squared to each other. 

So as I started laying out on my tree I find I can’t square them up perfect because of the stirrup slots being slightly offset from each other. 

If I split the difference I end up with almost 3 1/16” but the edges will be riding on the radius of the slots.  Am I over thinking this and trying to be too perfect?

E3337A92-2DA4-4B62-A130-7157FFBADDE1.jpeg