DirtyDusty

Dee ring attachment

What’s your preference on mounting breast collar dee’s and other small Dee rings?  Rawhide, pre made metal tabs, or leather?  Pro’s and con’s of each?

Hello Dirty Dusty,

I am a very amateur maker so take my thoughts with a grain or three of salt...  I was taught that the dee rings should be set up to tear out on their own in the event of a major wreck. 

I always attach mine independently of any major components so that if something really gets westy they will break and not wreck something major like a rigging plate.  I usually build mine of leather laced together with kangaroo lace.

I have a saddle in for repair right now where the maker had attached the breast collar dees with tin loops riveted into the rigging plates.  The owner had a decent wreck with a colt and by the time the saddle broke free of the horse the breast collar had pulled the dees out of the rigging plates making for a fairly major repair.  The rigging plates were ripped nearly in half.

Just my 2 cents.

RDL

RDL

Makes some very good points.  Now, I wonder how to place breast collar dees.  Lately, I've been incorporating my dees in the latigo carriers.  I seldom use clip (metal) and dees because the hole in the clip doesn't always line up where I what it, and drilling into stainless steel cost more in drill bits than it's worth.  I do believe that breast collar dees should be attached to the tree and not to skirts and rigging plates.  I usually use leather to attach the dees, and rawhide if the repair (original equipment) of a saddle calls for it.  Also, for dees at rosettes for tying on stuff, I like to use rawhide.

So, what did you decide on your fenders?

1 hour ago, Goldshot Ron said:

RDL

Makes some very good points.  Now, I wonder how to place breast collar dees.  Lately, I've been incorporating my dees in the latigo carriers.  I seldom use clip (metal) and dees because the hole in the clip doesn't always line up where I what it, and drilling into stainless steel cost more in drill bits than it's worth.  I do believe that breast collar dees should be attached to the tree and not to skirts and rigging plates.  I usually use leather to attach the dees, and rawhide if the repair (original equipment) of a saddle calls for it.  Also, for dees at rosettes for tying on stuff, I like to use rawhide.

So, what did you decide on your fenders?

I have one pattern made already, like the stohlman book shows. I think I will modify it some. Pondering how to work around my stirrup strap slots. I think I may have an issue with the slot under the tree being too narrow. I am gonna cut my straps and see if it looks like it will work.  

I believe Stohlman's book shows 3" wide leathers, so if your slots are a little too small for 3", go down to 2 1/2".  I've worked on a lot of saddles with less than  2 1/2" wide leathers, and they have held up quit well.