Willwebby

Palosanto edge beveler sizes

I’m looking to get a Palosanto edge beveler in either a 0 or 01 size, I can only really afford one at the moment but I am not sure what size to order though. Has anyone got any images or recommendations to compare the two sizes. 
I am mainly making pocket items such as wallets and notebook covers. 

thanks 

You didn't say what thickness leather you are using.  The more details the better the answer. 

A  Palosanto #0 and #01 will work on thick and thin leather, while a #01 will be to large for thin leather.  I use 1-1.5mm leather for my wallets.  If I burnish them I use a #0.  If I edge paint I don't use any.  On my notebooks and passport holders I use one size or another depending on the thickness of the leather.

To answer your question with such limited information, I would say a #0.  If you want a larger edge you could always use a bit of sandpaper.  

I have no idea what country you are in but in the USA there is only one place that sells them and they are out of stock.  When they get them they sell fast.  To order them direct from Korea it costs $20.00 or so in shipping and can take up to a month or more.

Great alternatives are Barry King and Ron's Tools.  A Barry King 00 and Ron's Montana edger #1 are the same size as the Palosanto #0.  The difference on all of them are the width and length of the toes--the guide.  The BK is wider and on thin leather it will rub on the work surface.  It can be remedied by elevating the leather on top of something.  But because of the larger guide it is the easiest to use.  Ron's is second on ease and the Palosanto requires more concentration because of the narrow guide.

I think the Palosanto is the coolest looking, the Barry King is the easiest to use and the Ron's is easiest to use for thin leather.  Though, they all result in the same edge.

I really can't recommend one brand over the other, that's why I have all three.  Hmm?  Maybe Ron's #1 for thin leather and Barry King for thicker leather and Palosanto for looks.

Left leather is a Palosanto #0.  Right leather is a Barry King #0-- the same as a Palosanto #01.  It is difficult to tell the difference in the picture.

The three edgers in the other picture are Ron's, Palosanto and BK.  You can see what I mean about the guide feet.

So, what are you going to do?

unnamed (2).jpg

ygoiu.jpg

Hi Mike, thank you for your reply, that pretty much exactly what I was looking for :), I’m mainly using 1-1.5mm leather also. I am over in the uk so I think whatever I buy the postage is going to be excessive. I did look at the Barry kings however The reseller of the Barry king bevelers in the uk are out of stock of the smaller sizes. I will probably go with the Palosanto in a 0 size to get me started. 

3 hours ago, Willwebby said:

Hi Mike, thank you for your reply, that pretty much exactly what I was looking for :), I’m mainly using 1-1.5mm leather also. I am over in the uk so I think whatever I buy the postage is going to be excessive. I did look at the Barry kings however The reseller of the Barry king bevelers in the uk are out of stock of the smaller sizes. I will probably go with the Palosanto in a 0 size to get me started. 

I can't say enough good things about the edgers made by Ron's tools.  For thin leather like you are working with I especially like the Montana edgers.