mrwatch

cleaning unused leather

Going thru an estate old shed, I found several pieces of 12 inch wide around I think 18 lb new leather from around 1960. He farmed with a team of horses and likely used it for repairs and it loosely rolled and very dusty dirty. I do not know if chrome or vegitaned. Besides an air hose and shop vac is their a proffered method of cleaning before using for craft projects?

Their is also lots of old very dry and cracked harness belts and horse collars that has seen many years of rain and such and rusty buckles etc.. Is their an interest in saving anything like for patterns etc. as the next owner will likely dump all of it?  

I'd clean the old unused leather with Saddle Soap, then give it a feed of neetsfoot oil. To check if its veg tanned, snip off a piece, wet it and try stamping it with something. If it takes a good deep impression then its veg tan, chrome tan doesn't take impressions good.

Old harness etc is good for patterns and show-how, as long its holding together.

I agree with the saddle soap.

With regards to keeping the old tack: Do you think you will ever want to make something like this? AND do you have the storage space to easily keep it? Because I think that traditional harness making is still alive; people all over the world are still working with horses. Meaning there is also a lot of material around to copy and there is probably no need for this heap of stuff (unless there's something really unusual in there, but we don't know...)

the leather + a pack of wired together new shoe soles. 

P1010414.jpg

3 minutes ago, Klara said:

I agree with the saddle soap.

With regards to keeping the old tack: Do you think you will ever want to make something like this? AND do you have the storage space to easily keep it? Because I think that traditional harness making is still alive; people all over the world are still working with horses. Meaning there is also a lot of material around to copy and there is probably no need for this heap of stuff (unless there's something really unusual in there, but we don't know...)

I do have some space in the pole barn but no need for it. We have Pennsylvania Dutch Amish in our area that use the horse and buggy and all farming by horses. as for the leather it may be good for knife sheaths or other as it was in a dry shed.

If you have space and its not going to make you have to sleep out with the dogs; keep what you can then dispose of what you think is useless at your leisure.

Nowt worse than seeing old stuff being dumped by the unknowledgeable before any of us can inspect and assess it

4 hours ago, mrwatch said:

Going thru an estate old shed, I found several pieces of 12 inch wide around I think 18 lb new leather from around 1960. He farmed with a team of horses and likely used it for repairs and it loosely rolled and very dusty dirty. I do not know if chrome or vegitaned. Besides an air hose and shop vac is their a proffered method of cleaning before using for craft projects?

Their is also lots of old very dry and cracked harness belts and horse collars that has seen many years of rain and such and rusty buckles etc.. Is their an interest in saving anything like for patterns etc. as the next owner will likely dump all of it?  

save the hardware at least, even if its rusty you can throw it in some vinegar and clean it up to reuse. 

It's not in my profile,  but I've been passionate about horses for something like 50 years, an active rider for most of that (English and Western) and my horse is almost 31.

And honestly, the very last thing I want to see is rusty hardware on my saddles and tack! Or even hardware that is at risk of rusting (solid brass and stainless steel are the way to go). Even for my dog leashes and collars I use stainless steel whenever possible. 

The way I see it there is strictly no point in spending time and effort on cleaning up rusty buckles, unless you want to fill a museum. 

fredk's idea of taking everything and sorting through at your leasure is a good one if you think you'll actually do it (l'm speaking as somebody who spent most of last summer sorting through her farm and throwing things out. After 20 years...)

Looking thru the dirt, under rusty nails and junk I seen a ring. Pulled out the leather and brass horse harness heart. Lots of saddle soap and brass cleaner on his initials it has cleaned up nice. Not sure I will try to polish the brass balls? I call it a good save from a dump and will hang it up. He died in the mid 1960's so no telling the age. The next owner of the property will decide on what to dump.  

20210321_154126.jpg