Oldiesfan

Singer Electric Transmitter how old and how save to use ?

My Singer 132ksv18 is equipped with an Old Singer Electric Transmitter ( Clutch motor ) . How old is this one and is it worth cleaning and replacing the ball bearings? 

It runs smoothly , without strange sounds .

PSX_20210410_164725.jpg

PSX_20210410_164757.jpg

PSX_20210410_165034.jpg

PSX_20210410_165249.jpg

PSX_20210403_222425.jpg

If it runs smooth there’s no reason to change bearings.   However you should lubricate them.   Use an oil intended for electrical motors - probably something like 20 drops of oil in each bearing each year.   There will be a third oil cup at the very front of the motor and the pulley shaft will have two additional bearings.

It’s not clear if the bearings that support the shaft the pulley is attached to are lubricated by the oil cup in that area or if that oil cup only lubricates the back and forth action of the clutch mechanism.   On newer motors the two bearings that support the pulley shaft are sealed, but you might have to see if there’s a way to get some oil into yours.

CFC86712-D039-488C-AA78-5EB4832DB1E3.jpeg

3B79FBCE-D298-46D8-A1B6-1EB37D9FC40D.jpeg

27 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

If it runs smooth there’s no reason to change bearings.   However you should lubricate them.   Use an oil intended for electrical motors - probably something like 20 drops of oil in each bearing each year.   There will be a third oil cup at the very front of the motor and the pulley shaft will have two additional bearings.

It’s not clear if the bearings that support the shaft the pulley is attached to are lubricated by the oil cup in that area or if that oil cup only lubricates the back and forth action of the clutch mechanism.   On newer motors the two bearings that support the pulley shaft are sealed, but you might have to see if there’s a way to get some oil into yours.

CFC86712-D039-488C-AA78-5EB4832DB1E3.jpeg

3B79FBCE-D298-46D8-A1B6-1EB37D9FC40D.jpeg

I noticed the two ( not a third) oil caps and did lubricate them in the beginning . One thing that bothers me is that there's a lot of dust in the clutch area . 

I think that the seller never or hardly cleaned the sewing machine and Electric Transmitter . 

New bearings !? What i will do is, use the machine for a while and will see if something change in sound or motor behaving .

I hope that somebody can give me a production date of this transmitter. And if it's was  maybe a original one that was delivered in this set ?

With some reason for this 132ksv18 I mentioned in also another topic .

Edited by Oldiesfan

Not sure about that model but older motors often ran in oiled bushings, not bearings, which is why they have oil caps. If it's working ok I would leave it alone, as the wiring insulation gets brittle with age and pulling them apart can cause (dangerous) problems. I had a couple of lovely old Singer motors that I dumped because I considered them electrically dangerous.

9 hours ago, DonInReno said:

If it runs smooth there’s no reason to change bearings.

+1. If it runs quiet, smooth, with no vibration or overheating, then it can run forever. A bit of lube won't hurt.

Mind you, clutch motors are noisier than servo, and they cost more in the electric bills in the long run.

Thanks for all the reply :)

Bushings instead of Bearings!

I don't no if I dit wrong :( But I used Kroon oil,  SMO 1830 Sewing machine oil to lubricate the Bushings. 

Any oil is fine while it lasts. A thicker oil will stay longer. Since the motor only runs at about 3500 RPM, you can use the same engine oil as in your car. If you are not running a 24/7 factory, it practically does not matter which oil you use. I keep leftover oil from engine oil changes and transmission fluid changes and use it in my motors that have similar lubricating wells (for example, I have a bench grinder that uses the same sort of lubrication).

Many of this age are just a fire hazard waiting to happen, and whilst you are probably insured, the problems in moving to a new house might make the Euro 150 servo a better piece of mind