garypl

Portfolio and Takedown Gun Case

Just finished a couple of first time projects.  First is a portfolio I made for my friend's daughter who recently graduated from vet school and is a large animal vet.  Covers made from 6-7 oz W&C and inside used calf leather.

Second is a takedown gun case for a friend's Savage O/U 20 ga/22 LR shotgun/rifle made from 4-5 oz bison for case and trim.  Inside is lined in waxed canvas and case is sewn with 207 thread.   Has three compartments for the buttstock/barrel & fore end and an extra .410 ga tube. Made  few mistakes as I learned but he was pleased with the end product, so I am happy!

Sarah Portfolio.jpg

Sarah Portfolio2.jpg

Sarah Portfolio4.jpg

Savage Gun Case.jpg

Savage Gun Case3.jpg

Savage Gun Case5.jpg

I like the design of the take down gun case.  Smart. 

beautiful work on both! you are an inspiration.

2 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I like the design of the take down gun case.  Smart. 

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

beautiful work on both! you are an inspiration.

Jay / Chuck - thanks for your kind words.  Made a few mistakes on both of these, but that's how I keep learning as I fumble along!

I might copy your portfolio if ok, i have a few daughters that sketch constantly lol, they take their work everywhere. Did you make it to fit a certain type of insert or just a certain size of off the shelf notebook?

Chuck - I just sized it to fit a standard 6 x 8 spiral notebook.  I think the dimensions of the covers I made were 8 x 10" with a spine made of 4-5 oz.

By the way, I had a heck of a time gluing the bison leather gun case before stitching it.  Tried contact cement, rubber cement and double stick tape and none of them would stick due to the oily bison leather.  Finally tried using Titebond wood glue and it worked great!

8 hours ago, garypl said:

Finally tried using Titebond wood glue and it worked great!

Sometimes the Fiebing's leather cement or the Tandy white leather glue works well on these types of leather.

Your horse looks a bit like a Linnell pattern, is it?  neat way to hold the pen, too!  Take down case came out very nice.

YinTx

6 hours ago, YinTx said:

Sometimes the Fiebing's leather cement or the Tandy white leather glue works well on these types of leather.

Your horse looks a bit like a Linnell pattern, is it?  neat way to hold the pen, too!  Take down case came out very nice.

YinTx

Thanks Y.  I will try one of these glues.  I had some concern about using the Titebond, but after testing on some scrap and sewing the scrap pieces, I didn’t see any ill effects, so I went ahead and used it.

It is a pattern from Linnell.  I bought a few of his videos and they were very informative - recommend them for anyone trying to improve their carving skills (I still have a long way to go!)

The pen holder was a last minute add-on.  If I would have thought to include this before stitching the spine I would have made the spine from 2 layers to hide the stitches between the layers - live and learn!

5 hours ago, jocww said:

Do you have anymore pics of the take down case that looks sweet!!!!!!

Sorry, but don’t have any photos while I was building it.  It’s based on an original Savage case for the take down rifle/shotgun.  I worked off of a photo from the internet and kind of winged it as I went along trying to figure out the best way to make it.

I would not use 207 size thread if total weight of leather is 3 oz.  Knots would probably be visible on top or bottom.   What are you making and what is total weight of leather?

I just saw this, Gary, very nice work indeed.:specool: The carving on the portfolio is excellent and the Bison has great texture to it. Nice looking leather.

12 hours ago, dikman said:

I just saw this, Gary, very nice work indeed.:specool: The carving on the portfolio is excellent and the Bison has great texture to it. Nice looking leather.

Thanks for the compliment dikman- much appreciated!