greenbean

Edge guide for 206RB?...

Can you folks recommend an edge guide for a Consew 206RB?  I often sew long, straight stretches of leather or fabric and would like to make my stitch line parallel to the edge.  By hand, I can do a decent job.  But I would like to make it cleaner looking.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, greenbean said:

Can you folks recommend an edge guide for a Consew 206RB?  I often sew long, straight stretches of leather or fabric and would like to make my stitch line parallel to the edge.  By hand, I can do a decent job.  But I would like to make it cleaner looking.  Thanks!

I bought one of those flip up adjustable edge guides online... I think it was from Amazon but it shipped from China.  The description listed a bunch of machines it would work with, including the Consew 206RB (mine is a 206RB-5) and I was very disappointed to find that it did NOT in fact fit the machine.  I have one of those guides on my Techsew 2750PRO and it's quite nice, but even though it came with the machine, it doesn't quite fit right as the laser light and wiring for it is a bit in the way.

So what I use mostly is just the presser foot for 1/8" and 1/4" seams and a magnetic guide (Dritz) for larger seams.  I'd like to buy/try the much longer magnetic guide that Sailrite sells, but the guide plus the shipping cost and dollar exchange rate makes the cost about $120 Canadian (yes, I'm in Canada).  So I've got it on my wishlist, and will probably order one when/if I can add enough other items to my order to help spread out the (very high) shipping rates that Sailrite charges.  Maybe once the border opens up again after Covid, I'll order one for US delivery and pick it up on one of my trips to the States.  But who knows when that will be.  SIGH

6 hours ago, greenbean said:

I have both of these edge guides I bought on ebay.

Large magnetic edge guide

Over the side, swing away edge guide.

I also use walking foot edge guide feet that have a spring loaded guide on the right side of the back foot. They come in spacings from 1/8 through 5/16 inch from the needle.

48 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I have both of these edge guides I bought on ebay.

Large magnetic edge guide

Over the side, swing away edge guide.

I have one of those "large" magnetic edge guides and for me it doesn't work well with heavier assemblies... too easy to move it out of place while maneuvering 2 layers of 21 oz canvas plus 2 of 1000D Cordura.  Maybe my 206RB-5 doesn't allow the magnet to hold as well as it might if the needle plate were larger.  The rippled paint finish on the body is probably not allowing the best hold.

Anyway, I was going by memory of the cost of the Sailrite Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide... it's actually fairly reasonably priced at US$32.  Of course with shipping and dollar exchange rate plus taxes, it costs us Canadians a lot more.  But I just ordered one.  I've been wanting one for awhile now.

Thanks to you all.  I appreciate it!  I have ordered the smaller magnetic guide on eBay and we will see how it works.  

On 4/21/2021 at 12:01 PM, greenbean said:

Thanks to you all.  I appreciate it!  I have ordered the smaller magnetic guide on eBay and we will see how it works.  

Just wanted to follow up as I received the Sailrite magnetic guide I mentioned (link a couple of messages up).  It's GREAT!  It holds much much better than the magnetic guide I'd been using.  It's not easy to push it out of position with a heavy assembly.

Here's a photo of it on my Consew 206RB-5.  The Sailrite one is on the right and the "large" one I'd been using is on the left.  No comparison.

I should have ordered one months ago.

IMG_7680.JPG

Thanks, MtlBiker!  I will pick one of those up.

You might try a Harbor Freight tool magnet. We have found many uses for those.