Sign in to follow this  
Markstang

New Here saying hello

Hello. I have been lurking for quite a while before I joined. I liked the vast amounts of advice that I decided to join. When I say I am new , I mean I know nothing. being one of these can do or repair anything kinda people I studied forever until my eye bled before deciding on a machine first. I found a Consew RB206-2 restored with a custom table, servo motor and reduction wheels. For my first post I want to show a video of how slow she can go. Very quiet.
My intentions are to ...yes....do my boat interior to cut my teeth on. However a machine cover will be my first practice. Pretty excited but taking my time. I have been studying for a couple months on upholstery methods and advice.

Welcome!  And that machine of yours really does sew slowly.  But... (with you saying you're a beginner, etc.) uh, did you perhaps forget to put thread in the machine?  :)

I pulled the bobbin cartridge out after lining up the dots. :) Did I do the right thing? No thread in the top and nothing below. LOL, I was testing stitch length and did not want to mess anything up yet. The tension is set already for 69. This was my first test after purchase. I did test it prior with thread before buying. The owner had a hard time selling it because he spent considerable time restoring it and yet knew it had to go.

Edited by Markstang

40 minutes ago, Markstang said:

I pulled the bobbin cartridge out after lining up the dots. :) Did I do the right thing? No thread in the top and nothing below. LOL, I was testing stitch length and did not want to mess anything up yet. The tension is set already for 69. This was my first test after purchase. I did test it prior with thread before buying. The owner had a hard time selling it because he spent considerable time restoring it and yet knew it had to go.

Mark, I was just teasing you about the lack of thread!  Meant it to (hopefully) get a laugh from you.

Is that upholstery vinyl or leather you were testing on?  The needle is going to leave holes in either, so you may as well have left the thread in place for your test.  That way you'd see if the tensions are correct.

I'm pretty much a beginner at sewing myself (only having started since Covid) but I'm having a ball (and making lots of mistakes) but one of the things that took me by surprise is that colored thread generally needs different tension adjustments than black thread.  I've found that red, white and blue (which is what I use other than black) work well with the same tension adjustment while black needs different tension.  So when you say your machine is already set up for v69 thread, keep that in mind.  You know about the drop test for bobbin tension?  While holding the bobbin thread in your fingers with the bobbin hanging down, very gently bounce the bobbin.  If the thread comes out too easily and the bobbin drops, you need to increase the bobbin tension.  If it doesn't come out easily enough, you need to loosen the tension.  And with experience you'll learn what is right.  I don't know if more experienced people do this, but I have one bobbin that I use only for my black thread (normally v92) and another that I use for white, red and blue.  And changing from a color to black (or vice-versa) generally needs a top thread tension adjustment also.

Cheers!

Yes I love humor :) and deep sarcasm. Great advice as I plan to do my work with v92. I did not know the color difference but the guy I got it from was pretty extensive in showing the importance of doing a test run on EVERY project section each time. I am thinking of using thin painters plastic in order to get my pattern from the sectioned seat patterns I have un threaded. Thoughts welcome from all.