Killerwork

Chicago Screws with snaps?

I am trying to find something that looks like furniture snaps, but instead of wood screw style I would like Chicago screw. Would anyone know what a proper name for this type of fastener would be and maybe where to find them?

16 hours ago, Killerwork said:

I am trying to find something that looks like furniture snaps...

Do you mean a screw stud?

Self-Tapping Sheetmetal Screwstuds - Square Drive

Yes, I realize this is not a Chicago screw, but it is a snap that can be used as a furniture component.  What part of a Chicago screw assembly do you want to "look like furniture snaps"?  What will be its function?

If that is the sort of thing you are looking for; I can put the screw head, the slotted bit, of a cheap Chicago Screw thru the center hole of the snap base (as in the photo above) and then screw the counter part to it thru the leather

fredk, I was thinking the same thing, then I tried it.  What size snaps and Chicago screws are you using?  My Chicago screws don't even come close to fitting in the base of my Line 24 snaps. My Chicago screws do say heavy duty, so maybe that is the reason.

Here, in UK, I buy snaps, aka 'poppers' or 'Press studs' here by the diameter of the head which is also usually the same as the spring part of the snap

I erred in my statement above. I put the screw part of the Chicago Screw (hereafter just CS) through the part which has the spring.

In this photo we have, from left, what I call a proper CS, pure brass and heavy duty, then next, to the right, is a light weight one, still brass but not as heavy, then next right, a CS type with a fancy head and finally a screw part from the fancy CS inserted into a snap. Its just held there by a bit of bluetac.

1309557202_Chicagoscrewsonsnaps01LWs.jpg.ffbfa6bc312140fa8a17862c8b664270.jpg

The snap is 15mm diameter. 

I have a few 'Line something-or-other' snaps from Tandy but I've classified them as 12mm diameter and have them stored as such

afair the parts of the proper CS fitted into an 18mm diameter snap but I rarely go that size

* some people say the part with the spring is the top. To me it doesn't matter which is top or bottom. It works either as top or bottom.

I found them, only downfall is I am unsure of snap size and thread size, this place sells everything separately and descriptions are a bit lacking, but I figure once I have these a trip to hardware store solves the rest. I am wanting to use them as a way to fasten a belt loop for an IWB holster that would allow for can’t adjustment and snap without using multiple pieces of hardware. 

EDF1B92D-A897-4686-9AA5-115B008A3761.png

Are the screw threads compatible?

37 minutes ago, ButtonLady said:

Are the screw threads compatible?

I believe that they are standard bolt thread but have not received them yet. I am hoping to use a t-nut on in between two layers, I will go to hardware store to find something to work. I will post my findings.