Hello.   I  have posted this suggestion on other leather-craft sites in the past as a money saving suggestion but can not find if I put it forward here or not.  I make knives and the custom fitted sheaths for them. As I live 2-1/2 hours from the nearest Tandy and hate  paying their high prices and exorbitant shipping prices I have learned to be creative.  When doing small rawhide projects in the native style, such as sheaths and pouches   rather than purchasing a whole side of rawhide I hit either the nearest pet store or Costco for the foot long rolled dog chews.  The pet stores for individual chews or Costco for the more economical 12 pack bags which are $20.00 Cdn.   When  needed I simply soak one overnight in  water then UN- roll and flatten it out  to dry until it reaches the right  workable state. I bring this suggestion up now as being a dog lover I am aware of a movement, at least here in Canada, to boycott/ban rawhide dog chews  as they are causing deaths due to blocking the digestive tract of pets. A  number of the chain-stores are getting on board with this  so the chews are becoming harder to find and it may be time to restock your supply before they are no longer available.

That's interesting info for sure friend thank you, we went from the rawhide chews to these gristle chew things made from the lower back leg tendon. Problem is they are about $4.00 a pop and my bully's can eat one in an hour lol. I was going to tryr one or a few  for making mallets but just haven't got around to it. On your sheaths how do you water proof them so they don't get soft in the field? I knew Native Americans used rawhide for making boxes and such.

1 hour ago, lawman133 said:

Hello.   I  have posted this suggestion on other leather-craft sites in the past as a money saving suggestion but can not find if I put it forward here or not.  I make knives and the custom fitted sheaths for them. As I live 2-1/2 hours from the nearest Tandy and hate  paying their high prices and exorbitant shipping prices I have learned to be creative.  When doing small rawhide projects in the native style, such as sheaths and pouches   rather than purchasing a whole side of rawhide I hit either the nearest pet store or Costco for the foot long rolled dog chews.  The pet stores for individual chews or Costco for the more economical 12 pack bags which are $20.00 Cdn.   When  needed I simply soak one overnight in  water then UN- roll and flatten it out  to dry until it reaches the right  workable state. I bring this suggestion up now as being a dog lover I am aware of a movement, at least here in Canada, to boycott/ban rawhide dog chews  as they are causing deaths due to blocking the digestive tract of pets. A  number of the chain-stores are getting on board with this  so the chews are becoming harder to find and it may be time to restock your supply before they are no longer available.

Try them. Springfield Leather Company

To be honest, If you order $10.00 worth of stuff  the shipping is going to eat you alive

If you order a $100.  it is better

Hi.  I add hide a small amount of powdered hide glue to the soak water and then work them into final shape/finish before the hide is completely dry while allowing just a little for shrinkage and to allow for stitching as well. I have also had success by waiting until the project is done before  a thin hide glue solution is painted on.   As for shipping from the States to Canada, that is completely out of the question as the cost even for small items is frequently double the cost of the item itself.  I rely on my one or two trips to Kentucky a year to make any substantial purchases of supplies as each adult in the car is allowed $ 700. duty/tax free worth of goods upon re-entry to Canada.

There is an Indian Crafts catalog that black powder shooters use as well. Crazy Crow.  They sell a Rawhide shield for around $20.  This is THICK rawhide as compared to the very thin rawhide from chew toys.  This shield is painted white on one side and you have to scrape off the paint which is not difficult. If you plan correctly you can make two, mountain man type sheaths.

I was sure I wanted a rawhide sheath and I've made probably a half dozen but the material is as hard as wood. I have changed my mind a bit. Leather "gives" and holds the knoife securely whereas a knife can sort of rattle around in a rawhide sheath.  In the mountain man style the edge is riveted, not sewn.  If I do sew I use real sinew (Crazy Crow sells it) and use a whip stitch. On the rivets: brass tacks with square shanks- not easy to find, harness rivets- probably the best option, or lead slugs peen hammered.