JeffB957

Design question. Leather LBE style suspenders

So, being a chubby guy, with a bad case of the middle aged gone-ass, I depend on suspenders to keep my pants up with all the heavy tools I carry in my pockets.

So, leather suspenders. Then I came up with the idea of adding a four inch wide "chest panel" with wet molded holsters for the 4 tools i use most on the job. It would be very handy.. That horizontal panel would also keep the suspenders from slipping off my shoulders too. I came up with the idea of using loxx fasteners to make that panel removable. 

So, while I'm confident that I can make this, friends of mine have questioned whether such a thing should ever be made. One guy suggested that rather than the civilian version of a military LBE i was envisioning, I'd just look like a giant nerd instead. I reminded him that I'm also the dungeon master of a local gaming group, so this isn't necessarily a problem. X-D

So, what do you think? Should this idea ever be made?

I say go for it - who cares what anyone else thinks as long as you like it and it fills a need for you!  I’d be interested in seeing how it turns out:thumbsup:

Same here. Certainly sounds useful...

Oh yeah, it will definitely be useful. I wear gloves on the job, so when I need a tool I usually have to get control of whatever I'm working on, and take off a glove so I can get into a pocket to get out a tool, usually a multitool or a pocket knife, then put the glove back on, use the tool, then reverse the process. It is awkward. Belt holsters just get ripped off while I'm squirming through tight places so I gave up on them. Despite looking a bit odd, this ought to be a really good solution functionally.

The heavens are crying out... "IT SHOULD BE MADE! MAKE IT!"

Go for it! They are called lederhosen and yours will be usefull as well.

9 hours ago, maxdaddy said:

The heavens are crying out... "IT SHOULD BE MADE! MAKE IT!"

I'm glad you said that, because I've already spent $200 restocking the leathercrafting bench with  a couple of Wicket and Craig 9oz straps, a 5 oz single shoulder, and a whole bucket of brass hardware with a celtic knot theme. X-D

I had to snicker at that, 

a case of gone ass,  I resemble that statement! 

i say make it! Hey, at the worst, if you dont like it put it aside, who knows, you may start a new fashion trend

On 4/18/2021 at 8:18 PM, JeffB957 said:

So, being a chubby guy, with a bad case of the middle aged gone-ass, I depend on suspenders to keep my pants up with all the heavy tools I carry in my pockets.

So, leather suspenders. Then I came up with the idea of adding a four inch wide "chest panel" with wet molded holsters for the 4 tools i use most on the job. It would be very handy.. That horizontal panel would also keep the suspenders from slipping off my shoulders too. I came up with the idea of using loxx fasteners to make that panel removable. 

So, while I'm confident that I can make this, friends of mine have questioned whether such a thing should ever be made. One guy suggested that rather than the civilian version of a military LBE i was envisioning, I'd just look like a giant nerd instead. I reminded him that I'm also the dungeon master of a local gaming group, so this isn't necessarily a problem. X-D

So, what do you think? Should this idea ever be made?

I had the idea maybe 30 years ago to make a supported tool belt. By the time I finished I had straps going everywhere. The thing was so heavy it defeated it'ds own purpose. But go for it. Keep in mind what it does in a sitting position, leaning way over, and turning.