Airplanedoc

Singer 29-4 Questions

I just picked up a Singer 29-4 (1914)   With stand, and a Drawer full of goddies still in North Western Railway envelopes..  It appears to be in great shape, and I got some history.   The people I bought it from have had it for 25 years, stored in their garage, they bought it at from a relative who had some financial difficulties.    What needles do you all recommend? My Mom is a quilter and will only use Schmetz, but I'm not that fussy as of yet.  I paid $200 for it which I think was a pretty good deal, and it was in town so I didn't have to go anywhere.

Thanks

It uses System 29x3 (cloth) and 29x4 (leather) needles; aka: System 332. You can also use common walking foot System 135x16 and 135x17 needles. The rib faces to the left (outside) and the scarf over the eye faces inwards towards the arm and body. Make sure it is fully seated all the way up in the mounting bracket.

The bobbins are very tiny and are best limited to #69 bonded thread. The proper needle size for #69 thread, top and bobbin, is #18 (110).