Zonker1972

Motorcycle seat topcoat Questions

I've searched through the forum and done some google searching but i'm just getting a consistent answer on top coating motorcycle seats that will be used in the weather. I used oil based dyes, allowed them to dry for 72 hours and then oiled with olive oil, al la Don Gonzalas. But now I am stuck on the best finish to use to protect my leather as well as allow me to condition my leather. 

I have discounted resolene even though it would be a barrier to the elements because I do not feel that an acrylic top coat will flex with use and it would be a permanent barrier allowing no leather conditioning over time..

Don Gonzales has suggested on his youtube vids that tan kote allows the leather to absorb oils but is "water resistant". I initially liked this idea and was going to finish with tan kote. however, the more work I put into these seats, the more scared I am that some weather will destroy all my work.

I have also seen some post on using leather balm with atom wax and/or pecard motorcycle leather dressing. The ideas I took away from these posts is that the wax creates a barrier to keep out water but not a permanent barrier, a barrier that requires some maintenance. 

I am starting to lean towards the leather balm with atom wax or the pecard. Can I get some opinions from others who have made tooled motorcycle seats?

thank you,

Zonker

I mostly use the Leather Balm. You will never get a full protection no matter what you use. I don't like using anything that changes the color of the seat and some products do. Veg tan is going to do what it is going to do. Darken with age and lose color over time. 

I use Skidmore's Leather Cream on everything I make and use that is leather.  I have used it on my motorcycle seat for years and in fact that is how I first discovered it; it was shipped with a custom leather motorcycle seat I had made.

I'm using some Angelus leather paint on a seat - I'm thinking I pretty much have to seal it with resolene or mop n glo just to protect the paint.

18 minutes ago, JHLeatherwood said:

I'm using some Angelus leather paint on a seat - I'm thinking I pretty much have to seal it with resolene or mop n glo just to protect the paint.

I understand.

Christian Marsh recommends and I use Montana Pitch-Blend you can get from Amazon or goggle

When I first started leatherwork I tried EVOO worst thing I ever did...I don't care what anyone says it does "sour" and mice like it... Only use 100% neatsfoot oil 0 silicone.... Top coat then MPB (Montana pitch blend) good luck!