EalsCreations

Affinity Designer for iPad

This is my first post, I am happy to be apart of this community. I have found may answers on this form via google so I figured I would sign up and be more involved.

So I have a question about Affinity Designer for iPad. I am use to drawing programs and CAD programs. I purchased the iPad and adobe illustrator to get away from using my work's drawing programs to create my leather patterns. Come to find out that adobe illustrator for iPad does not have the core functionality that I need for pattern design. So I purchased Affinity Designer for iPad. So far I am liking the program, there is a learning curve but nothing crazy.

My question is does anyone us Affinity Designer on the iPad for patterns? If so I would like to talk more about how you get stitching holes, I have used dashed lines that I make into holes but can't seem to subtract them from the shape. I know in illustrator you can convert them from a line to a shape and subtract them. This is good for laser cutting. 

Any other tips or tricks with this program are welcome as well.

7 minutes ago, EalsCreations said:

This is my first post, I am happy to be apart of this community. I have found may answers on this form via google so I figured I would sign up and be more involved.

So I have a question about Affinity Designer for iPad. I am use to drawing programs and CAD programs. I purchased the iPad and adobe illustrator to get away from using my work's drawing programs to create my leather patterns. Come to find out that adobe illustrator for iPad does not have the core functionality that I need for pattern design. So I purchased Affinity Designer for iPad. So far I am liking the program, there is a learning curve but nothing crazy.

My question is does anyone us Affinity Designer on the iPad for patterns? If so I would like to talk more about how you get stitching holes, I have used dashed lines that I make into holes but can't seem to subtract them from the shape. I know in illustrator you can convert them from a line to a shape and subtract them. This is good for laser cutting. 

Any other tips or tricks with this program are welcome as well.

I recently started using Affinity Designer (and Photo) on my iPad Pro and I find they seem to offer pretty much the same functionality as Illustrator and Photoshop.  And the files work on either program.

I'm doing a little pattern creating with Designer but haven't yet gotten heavily into it.  I'm not quite sure what you are asking about subtracting the lines from the shape, but might it work for you to have the lines on a separate layer?  You can hide/show layers at will, and also change their opacity.  I hope this helps.

I use AF but not to do stitch lines, just the outline shape, I then use wing divider to put in my stitch lines once the leather is cut

Thank you guys. I guess by biggest concern is creating stitching holes. From what I have researched I found that adobe didn't have some of the features on the iOS as it does on the MAC or Windows program. All the tutorials I have found have options on there that don't exists or I can't find on Adobe. So I switched to AF because it has more options and is a lot cheaper. However I can't find any good tutorials about leather working and creating stitching holes for AF. 

So how do you create stitching holes in AF? would be the more direct question. I can create a dashed line and make the dashes circles at a given interval, however I can't figure out how to convert that line into individual shapes to subtract from another shape - basically make a stitching holes in shapes - From what I gather, if I want to laser cut leather. this is important to do. 

Would it be better to just create a bunch of circles and some how measure them out and subtract those?

Edited by EalsCreations

So far in AF I have only worked out how to subtract a single item form another, groups (as in a line of circles) can be done I believe just not sure how, but in AF the function is called subtract, this may help in your search