David380

Thread sizing

hi everyone.  I posted a question about rebinding bibles.  I think for. What I've seen on the YouTube that for sizes of bibles the #4 pricking irons should work  best? But I'm still confused about thread between 0.6mm or 0.8mm for that iron. As you can tell I'm a beginner sorry for all the questions.  Also here in nc where I live there's no outlets that sell this stuff so I have to go to the web for seems like everything. Any help on the best web sites for all my needs with decent shipping? Thank yall for everything.  David 

2 hours ago, David380 said:

the #4 pricking irons should work  best

As in like 4 stitches per inch??  Or 4mm?  either way, seems pretty big to me.  3.85mm is 7 spi, biggest I'd go on a bible cover.  3.38 or 8 spi, or 3mm would even be preferable.  

Springfield leather sells stitching irons, Ebay sells stitching irons, Amazon sells em, Goods Japan (https://www.goodsjapan.com/leathercraft-supplies/pricking-irons), Kevin Lee, KS Blade Punch is high quality https://ksbladepunch.com, Sinabrooks are similar, and if you are just curious about all the different types, Nigel Armitage has a string of YouTube videos reviewing these, Crimson Hides, and more.

YinTx

5 hours ago, David380 said:

hi everyone.  I posted a question about rebinding bibles.  I think for. What I've seen on the YouTube that for sizes of bibles the #4 pricking irons should work  best? But I'm still confused about thread between 0.6mm or 0.8mm for that iron. As you can tell I'm a beginner sorry for all the questions.  Also here in nc where I live there's no outlets that sell this stuff so I have to go to the web for seems like everything. Any help on the best web sites for all my needs with decent shipping? Thank yall for everything.  David 

it really depends on the look you're going for. IF you want you can look back on some of my posts and check how my stitches and thread look.

I use 3.38mm french style pricking irons from WUTA , i punch straight thru the leather and i don't use a stitching awl ( i dont work with leather over 4/5 oz so i feel safe pushing my pricking irons thru )

most of my projects are sewn with .45mm twist brand waxed linen/poly thread.

i think the smaller stitch length and thinner thread have a finer higher end look as opposed to bigger stitch length and thread which i would use for saddle and tac or holsters and whatnot..

figuring all this stuff out takes time when you're first starting out and trying to figure out your own style. I have several spools of thread and other tools ill never need because i didn't really know what i was buying to be honest lol.

research and ask as many questions as possible.

Welcome and take care !

For something like a bible you will want relatively tight stitch spacing... say, 7, 8, or 10 stitches to the inch.

You can get by with bigger stitches but in general that will give more of a rugged look than a fine look.  Most stuff sewn commercially will be 8+ stitches per inch, because it's easy on a machine.  Most things sewn by hand will be 5-9 stitches per inch.

For that kind of stitching I would skip hand sewing thread and move to machine sewing thread, in size 138.  This is approximately 0.41 mm thick and works well for many kinds of fine stitching.  It's plenty strong.