livewire516

Fettling with footwear?

So my leatherworking has been exclusively with thick vegtan - making straps, sheaths for edge tools, sling chairs, etc.

Looking at this pair of Birkenstock sandals I just ordered, I immediately had the impulse to bevel and burnish their raw edges, as well as burnish the buckle holes a bit.

Is there any reason not to? It seems like they'll wear better - both in terms of my comfort and durability of sorts. Besides re-gluing soles on occasion, I've never messed with my own shoes.

Any input is appreciated!

birkenstock.jpg

i say go for it.. post the pictures when youre done. whats the worst that could happen....after all you are a leather worker right ?!

Yep, I’m with Castle. Just let us know how it goes! Once you start working with leather you begin to realize how many leather goods that are sold are really unfinished products.

Will do! Thank you both - just needed a little prodding.

Well hey - still consider them decent value, even at their price. I see where the money was spent materials wise. I don’t know the term for leather itself, but woodworking and leatherworking have definitely taught me that a quality tool at a fair price is generally sold unfinished and needs fettling. I noticed this with some of my casual boots, but they all get only occasional use. I will practically be living in sandals between now and October.

When the package arrived, my housemate saw me closely inspecting the sandals. They asked, “aren’t you going to try them on?” I said no and rattled off about beveling and burnishing. They rolled their eyes and said, “you know too much.”

Perhaps I should've used something softer, like beeswax rather than Tokonole for burnishing. Otherwise, I'm pleased how they turned out.

birkenstock.jpg

I have not yet burnished the belt holes - I'm unsure if I will bother to be honest.

birkenstock2.jpg

Looking good!