ToddW

what carboard is good for building a jewelry box

My grandad had on old jewelry box from the 50's I have had for a long time. Its old and tattered, pealing back the leather wrap, I see its a heavy cardboard type construction.  Any clue what could be used to duplicate this prior to wrapping it?  The box and lid construction is a nonflexible cardboard like material. I don't think its a masonite type material so just curious what others think could be used to construct something like this..  

@ToddW Moved your post to How do I do that.  Everything in help wanted requires moderators approvals.  Typically used like help wanted ads in the newspaper.

1 hour ago, ToddW said:

My grandad had on old jewelry box from the 50's I have had for a long time. Its old and tattered, pealing back the leather wrap, I see its a heavy cardboard type construction.  Any clue what could be used to duplicate this prior to wrapping it?  The box and lid construction is a nonflexible cardboard like material. I don't think its a masonite type material so just curious what others think could be used to construct something like this..  

Perhaps its compressed card, such as found on good quality photo/certificate envelopes. Perhaps you could ply a few layers to get the same thickness as the original

What I am looking for is card board like a cigar box thickness.. I think its called duplex paperboard..

I’ve used matt board like for framed pictures. There’s also a utility board that’s about 1/8” thick also. I used to get it at Michael’s but it’s easier online.