bigsig11010

Cutting on line or space

I just got my first pdf pattern. In process of putting onto stiffer backing. Question is when cutting out pattern should I cut exactly on the line or leave a little space for edges etc. never done this before and want to get started as right as possible. 

thank you 

chris

If there are no instructions then its usual to cut on the line. But I err with caution and cut a wee bit outside the line. Its easier to trim to size than have to cut out a whole new piece if the first is cut too small

If you told us what you're making you may get a better answer. 

Depending on the item--let's say a wallet--I cut the back to the proper size then over-cut the card slots allowing for a trim allowance.  I glue the pieces together then flip it over and using the back as a guide, cut the pockets to size.  This will give you a good finished edge with little or no sanding.

Also, if you are using it to tape down onto the leather  and use it like a template then you want to cut the pattern a bit larger and then cut directly on the line. I find it makes it easier to cut straight like that than to hit the outside of a paper edge.

15 hours ago, bigsig11010 said:

I just got my first pdf pattern. In process of putting onto stiffer backing. Question is when cutting out pattern should I cut exactly on the line or leave a little space for edges etc. never done this before and want to get started as right as possible. 

thank you 

chris

If the backing is to make a multi use template then of course you glue and cut on the line. When using a paper pattern to cut the leather direct I cut the pattern about a half inch oversize so I can tape/staple it to the leather with masking tape so when I'm done punching holes etc I can then cut on the lines leaving no tape residue. I use the thickest card my printer will take to print the pattern, then after first use it becomes a template for the next one. If using a punched hole pattern such as DieselpunkRos it makes the second one so much quicker because the punch just falls into the holes.

It's fairly normal in tailoring to use a "toile" as a working draft to see how the pattern needs to be corrected first. They'd use a cheap cloth, rather than the quality one, so they get as close as possible before the nearly-finished real thing is taken to perfection.

In this case, paper or card will show if seam allowances need to be added. Sometimes, these are quite generous and are cut back to a minimum once sewn. On outside curvers, where leather will bunch up on the inside, the bunching is often skived and trimmed down and what's left glued and hammered flat, so you don't see the flesh side if the edge is folded over.

Edited by Rahere

Depending on what I am making, I usually glue the paper to cardboard, mark the leather with the exact size but cut out most parts with an additional 1-2 mm. After gluing, I cut to the exact size. This helps immensely to get sharp edges for the edge finishing process. For example, when making a wallet, I leave space on the sides of the T-slots, and side and bottom of the T-slot cover. When I am happy with a template that I made, I will re-do the template and include the additional 1-2 mm where needed and keep the original template as a cutting guide.

If you told us what you're making you may get a better answer.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:58 AM, toxo said:

If the backing is to make a multi use template then of course you glue and cut on the line. When using a paper pattern to cut the leather direct I cut the pattern about a half inch oversize so I can tape/staple it to the leather with masking tape so when I'm done punching holes etc I can then cut on the lines leaving no tape residue. I use the thickest card my printer will take to print the pattern, then after first use it becomes a template for the next one. If using a punched hole pattern such as DieselpunkRos it makes the second one so much quicker because the punch just falls into the holes.

That is a smart approach.  I had not considered cutting quite so oversize and using masking tape to hold things together.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, JohnnyLongpants said:

That is a smart approach.  I had not considered cutting quite so oversize and using masking tape to hold things together.  Thanks!

Over-size so you can trim all edges evenly.  Can also use staples to hold pieces together as long as you leave the little extra space to trim if off after.