Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

Ive been looking for an industrial sewing machine and recently came across a used Consew cylinder arm machine on offer up. the machine wasn’t listed as a 223 the listing just said for sale and had a picture of the machine but I couldn’t see the model number.. so me being me I jumped the gun an bought it because I thought it was a 227 (walking foot) so now I have this consew 223 that I want to sew my leather goods with. Mainly bags as I still intend to sew my wallets by hand for the time being. 

I paid $280 for it and it just needed a belt. So I’m mainly here trying to figure out if this is worth keeping around. It is my first industrial and I would like to learn as much about the machine as possible.

I did order a belt and everything seems to be functioning as far as I can tell. I haven’t put any thread on it yet to see if it actually sews because I’m trying to figure out what the best thread needle/combo would suit me best since I don’t work with thick leather or intend to...I figured I can get that sorted later or maybe pay to have some one set it up if it comes to that. I have seen some videos of guys sewing leather with this but my main concern is the speed at the moment. I’m planning on buying a servo motor and possible a speed reducer if Necessary.

Does anyone have any info/tips or guidance for this machine ?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks !!

08BBB05D-AF74-4590-8442-A7DA6A6C991E.jpeg

9BB3DC8A-5479-4E69-8F7F-2880ADA7102D.jpeg

5E183D65-7A23-448A-B88E-4F3959BF6339.jpeg

32BBBBD7-EBEA-4643-93DA-920B4D384C62.jpeg

35E6AE46-13D1-4305-BAAC-D23B2AEB5DF0.jpeg

6DBD6802-3DDA-44B2-99A9-EC605E2326AE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I don’t know how long it’s been sitting but is there some kind of lubricant I can use on the internals ? Or do I just use sewing machine oil in the designated ports. Also how much oil do I use ... like a few drops or is there a certain amount that’s required or recommended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a good price even though it’s just a needle feed 
Every day it’s used, one drop of oil anyplace two pieces of metal rub together is all you need.   That includes all the oil holes, but also places under the covers that cant be reached by one of the oil holes.  Only regular sewing machine oil is needed.

If a machine is new to me I’ll over oil it the first time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one identical to yours delegated to the basement awaiting it's new owner to come and pick it up (6 months). I should charge a storage fee. The manual in pdf format on the Superior sewing machine site is for the 223 that you have and is a very clear copy of the manual which you may find it helpful. ( https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=consew+223+operating+manual ).

I would flood the machine with oil ensuring every part is well oiled and to help flush any old gunk out but have old cloths to catch the oily mess and then roll it over slowly by hand before doing it under power.

kgg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DonInReno said:

That’s a good price even though it’s just a needle feed 
Every day it’s used, one drop of oil anyplace two pieces of metal rub together is all you need.   That includes all the oil holes, but also places under the covers that cant be reached by one of the oil holes.  Only regular sewing machine oil is needed.

If a machine is new to me I’ll over oil it the first time.

thank you, i appreciate the help and the video, i havent seen that one!!

and yes the price was really good at least i thought so. im hopeful i can get this machine running well so i can start making bags and aprons. sewing big projects by hand isnt very fun lol.

12 hours ago, kgg said:

I have one identical to yours delegated to the basement awaiting it's new owner to come and pick it up (6 months). I should charge a storage fee. The manual in pdf format on the Superior sewing machine site is for the 223 that you have and is a very clear copy of the manual which you may find it helpful. ( https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=consew+223+operating+manual ).

I would flood the machine with oil ensuring every part is well oiled and to help flush any old gunk out but have old cloths to catch the oily mess and then roll it over slowly by hand before doing it under power.

kgg

Thanks for the link to the manual !!

how was your experience with the machine and what kind of projects did you sew? also why are you selling it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

Thanks for the link to the manual !!

My machine which was sold and paid for 6 months ago, just waiting for the new owner to pick it up:

i) like yours doesn't have reverse,

ii) has a small bobbin,

iii) had difficult time handling multiple layers

iv) has a clutch motor,

v) very lightly built, head weights less then my small flatbed Juki DU-1181N.

kgg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kgg said:

My machine which was sold and paid for 6 months ago, just waiting for the new owner to pick it up:

i) like yours doesn't have reverse,

ii) has a small bobbin,

iii) had difficult time handling multiple layers

iv) has a clutch motor,

v) very lightly built, head weights less then my small flatbed Juki DU-1181N.

kgg

Ahh yes I'm not stoked on the lack of features as well mainly reverse but i figure i can do without it for a while or figure out a work around depending on what im sewing..

However i am going to install a servo motor and speed reducer so i can hopefully get it to crawl. the bobbin i guess ill just have to pick up some extras and have them ready if i have a large project.

thats funny you say the machine is light. My first thought when i removed the machine head from the table was "wow this is much heavier than i thought it would be" or maybe it was because i got my butt kicked at the gym the day before.. lol

anyways i appreciate your time.

thanks again :thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

and yes the price was really good at least i thought so. im hopeful i can get this machine running well so i can start making bags and aprons. sewing big projects by hand isnt very fun lol.

I’ve always been impressed at how these needle feed machine sell for only slightly less than a walking foot model.   $500 for just the head wouldn’t be unreasonable once you get it sorted out and sewing well.

At least with upholstery folks, it’s not uncommon to go up a needle size with needle feed machines just to have a stiffer needle that deflects less.

Looks like fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

My first thought when i removed the machine head from the table was "wow this is much heavier than i thought it would be"

You don't know about heavy sewing machines until you have to move and setup a Union Lockstitch Machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DonInReno said:

I’ve always been impressed at how these needle feed machine sell for only slightly less than a walking foot model.   $500 for just the head wouldn’t be unreasonable once you get it sorted out and sewing well.

At least with upholstery folks, it’s not uncommon to go up a needle size with needle feed machines just to have a stiffer needle that deflects less.

Looks like fun!

yes i agree.. it was a steal so i jumped on it. i figure that if it doesnt work for what i want to make then i could probably resell it once its tuned up and sewing well. maybe even make a few bucks in the process ...

im currently cutting the table down and moving the legs trying to decrease the footprint of the machine so it doesnt take up so much space in my workshop (spare bedroom)

16 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

You don't know about heavy sewing machines until you have to move and setup a Union Lockstitch Machine.

Ill take your word for it @Wizcrafts lol this is plenty heavy for me now and im a pretty big guy

I am however very excited to get into the world of industrial sewing machines. Lots of stuff to learn.

Bell skiver is next !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

Ill take your word for it @Wizcrafts lol this is plenty heavy for me now and im a pretty big guy

450 pounds

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

450 pounds

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

WOW that thing is pretty epic looking. I take it that's the lockstitch machine you were talking about in the previous post..built to last several lifetimes from the looks of it lol

is there a reason for that machine being so big or is there not a smaller machine that could do the same job??  how thick is that stack of leather youre going through?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

WOW that thing is pretty epic looking. I take it that's the lockstitch machine you were talking about in the previous post..built to last several lifetimes from the looks of it lol

is there a reason for that machine being so big or is there not a smaller machine that could do the same job??  how thick is that stack of leather youre going through?

That is a Union Lockstitch Machine, from 1910. They built them that way so they could handle the heavy stacks of leather  used in the harness trade. It easily sewed 3/4 inch with extremely thick thread (#415 bonded nylon or 7 cord glazed linen). The stack in the photo is only 24 ounces. Not much of a challenge for a ULS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

That is a Union Lockstitch Machine, from 1910. They built them that way so they could handle the heavy stacks of leather  used in the harness trade. It easily sewed 3/4 inch with extremely thick thread (#415 bonded nylon or 7 cord glazed linen). The stack in the photo is only 24 ounces. Not much of a challenge for a ULS.

That’s pretty interesting..it made me realise I’m pretty oblivious to alot of the other facets of leather work. I myself for into the in trade because I liked some designer wallets. Here I am 2 years later making wallets and selling them. Now I’m trying to venture into making bags, that’s the reason for the machine. now I just have to get it running lol 

appreciate your time wiz you’re a wealth of knowledge :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...