Tried my hand at a leather backpack, creating my own pattern as I went. I modeled the basic design based on inspiration from Saddleback leather's front pocket backpack. Everything is handstitched, and was crafted entirely from one of Springfield leather's 30$ oil tanned sides!

1074545641_IMG-1091(1).thumb.jpg.6e25cf47d6b302656512e953d6c6e97d.jpg

Excellent work and design ! those side from Springfield are great.... that backpack should last forever !!

post more pics if you can !

take care.

The only thing I might mention is the unfinished edges on the flaps.  It would be easy enough to bevel and polish them.

Also...a line of stitching around the edges of the flaps would look nice.

5 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

The only thing I might mention is the unfinished edges on the flaps.  It would be easy enough to bevel and polish them.

Also...a line of stitching around the edges of the flaps would look nice.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely considering adding those modifications to give the edges a more finished look. 

Here's a picture with more of a side view. If I were to change the construction at all, I would make it a little slimmer with a wider flap, as it leaves a little gap at the top.

2014956697_IMG-1109(1).thumb.jpg.27589ff6fdf1c5fa852393ec9891364f.jpg

Yes, I agree with both of those modifications.  The other thing you might do is round the sides at the top to give the flap a little curvature to seal against.

Nice work!  I agree something should be done with regard to the flap and side condition.  Here's one idea, using snaps to "cinch" it in on the sides.  Others have used a drawstring arrangement.  In the one below, a leather strap in place of a cord or string.  I'm sure you've also probably seen the ones that feature a rolled top.  I see some wisdom in those.  Certainly they provide better protection.

Personalized Leather Backpack Travel Backpack Laptop Backpack Unisex Leather Backpack - LISABAG

The Daily Men's Leather Messenger Bag for Laptops - Brown Briefcase

Edited by Tugadude

On 4/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, Tugadude said:

Nice work!  I agree something should be done with regard to the flap and side condition.  Here's one idea, using snaps to "cinch" it in on the sides.  Others have used a drawstring arrangement.  In the one below, a leather strap in place of a cord or string.  I'm sure you've also probably seen the ones that feature a rolled top.  I see some wisdom in those.  Certainly they provide better protection.

Personalized Leather Backpack Travel Backpack Laptop Backpack Unisex Leather Backpack - LISABAG

The Daily Men's Leather Messenger Bag for Laptops - Brown Briefcase

Thanks for those suggestions! I think I’ll try installing some snaps on the side to cinch it up more.

That's a really nice bag.  I like the soft leather and the lining.

Nice work on that !