Skibb

Restoring leather where the top layer has worn away

Hello there. I wonder if anyone could advise me on the correct order in which to restore the leather on an old doctors bag. I didn’t know whether to use conditioner on it 1st or to dye and then condition . All advice gratefully received!

Depends on the kind of leather.  If you post a photo, we may be able to assist better.

YinTx

4 hours ago, Skibb said:

All advice gratefully received!

Not knowing anything about the bag, my first thought about your well-worn bag is to suggest the following...

Clean the leather with Lexol Leather Cleaner and let it dry overnight. I'm not sure that I would use dye, but instead I would apply Fiebings Antique Paste. It will coat the leather and "fill in" some of the worn top layer. Nothing will replace that worn leather, but the paste will give it some color and finish. Let it dry thoroughly then apply Lexol Leather Conditioner. Let the bag sit for a few days, buff it with a microfiber cloth, and finish with a light coat of Neatsfoot Oil. 

If you post a photo of this bag you will probably get more responses.

If the leather is worn and not cracked, you might consider condition it and leave it alone.  That wear tells a story!  

Just a though

- Bill

Thank you so much for the replies. Finally worked out how to attach a picture! If it doesn’t come through clearly it’s a very dark green.

D6914937-0DC9-4E28-8CEA-8E75C3226299.jpeg

97FA52D7-A241-4B44-8FED-DE3246CF6E25.jpeg

77802386-7DB4-4DF0-B533-C8FDBBFFA37A.jpeg

34071BE7-F6ED-4904-BE70-2AEB58BDB3BD.jpeg

On 4/28/2021 at 6:06 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

Not knowing anything about the bag, my first thought about your well-worn bag is to suggest the following...

Clean the leather with Lexol Leather Cleaner and let it dry overnight. I'm not sure that I would use dye, but instead I would apply Fiebings Antique Paste. It will coat the leather and "fill in" some of the worn top layer. Nothing will replace that worn leather, but the paste will give it some color and finish. Let it dry thoroughly then apply Lexol Leather Conditioner. Let the bag sit for a few days, buff it with a microfiber cloth, and finish with a light coat of Neatsfoot Oil. 

If you post a photo of this bag you will probably get more responses.

Thanks for this advice.  How do you anticipate the antique paste will colour the leather ? (I’ve attached some photos now)

3 hours ago, Skibb said:

How do you anticipate the antique paste will colour the leather ?

Where the leather surface is worn away the paste will fill in, and where the leather is not worn away the paste will not fill in so much.  The result is not going to produce an even color, but will help to protect the leather and give the bag a longer life.