Rannoch

filling in stitching holes

What is the best technique for filling in or otherwise hiding holes made by sewing gone awry?  When you make a mistake and pull the thread out, the holes remain.  Is there a compound our technique for filling in these holes or masking them?

thanks

First see if they'll swell closed with water. If cut with a sharp awl, it's not unknown. If punched so material's been removed, gluing a plug from the same punch and material might work too.

Rannoch you may be able to fill the holes depending on the final color of the leather. Black yes, show brown yes

One thing I have used is the left over bits of boot polish that have gone a bit hard in the tin . I use them fill any marks etc. , ...or holes ,  on hard leathers ,  mostly black, , sort of like a ' body filler' , and being polish they finish up quite good .  I guess a bit of hard bees wax might work too . Hope this helps a bit  :) 

HS

Thanks for the replies.  I'll give these ideas a try.

I wonder if anyone has tried to fill them with paint?  Getting the color just right could be difficult.

I read somewhere on here how some folks were mixing leather 'dust' with some superglue to create plugs.  May want to give that a try?  

1 hour ago, JayEhl said:

I read somewhere on here how some folks were mixing leather 'dust' with some superglue to create plugs.  May want to give that a try?  

It'll be too stiffl for anything worthwhile. In extremis, experiment with silocon caulk molding< thinning caulk with naphtha?white spirits< the using leather powder reather than cornflour as the thickener>

Edited by Rahere

can you fill them with fake stitches? Cover them with some type of do dad like maybe a concho or something similar?

I have used Bees wax works okay not perfect but ok.

Hope this helps

JCUK

If this is something you are selling and that wetting with water and burnishing won't fix, then either reduce the price with the customer's approval or start over; if it is something for yourself then don't worry about it.  Customers pay for the quality of your leather work so it's up to you what you want that quality to be.  When I am making an item for a customer that I make a mistake on I usually just start over and give the one with the mistake to the customer for free.