SergeyF

Durkopp Adler 269 presser foot height

Hi, everyone.

This is my first post here, this forum was a valuable source of information and first of all I would like to thank anyone who shared their experience here (sewing machine set up in my case).

I recently acquired Durkopp Adler 269 from a vendor in Italy. Machine came with binder attachment (binder is made by SA PE in italy. If anyone seen feet for Pfaffs/Adlers where it is written "Made Italy" this is what they produce. I also found their catalogs of different accessories  if someone needs I will post it here). I also ordered a kit for standard sewing operations (different feed dog and throat plate, binder throat plate is higher that standard). Machine stitches in that configuration however the presser foot is raised above feed dog at approx 4mm when stitch is completed. This setting is working well with binder and I guess this is how it should be, but I doesn't really work well with standard operations. I know that the head of the machine is basically a 267 and I found a manual that Uwe Grosse has posted previously (Uwe thank you) but I am really afraid to touch anything since there is no qualified mechanic in the area and I am afraid to make things worse :)

I have included photo and a youtube link so you can see what I am talking about.

If anyone knows how to handle it I would be very thankful.

Here is youtube video I made 

https://youtu.be/nWMf4X4ExNo

P.S. If anyone knows also how to engage/disengage properly elliptic feed dog movement of 269 machine that will also help me very much.

2131dsadsa.jpg

2131ds1232131adsa.jpg

Your machine stops in the needle-down position. It is normal for the rear foot to lift up as soon as the front foot presses against the material or feed dog. That’s just the walking foot mechanism functioning normally. There’s nothing you have to do, because there is nothing wrong, from what I can tell.

As for the feed dog lifting motion, I don’t think you can easily turn on or off , or adjust the feed dog lifting motion.

You can adjust the feed dog height, but the amount of vertical movement of the feed dog is determined my an eccentric lifting cam that is not adjustable, to my knowledge.

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Your machine stops in the needle-down position. It is normal for the rear foot to lift up as soon as the front foot presses against the material or feed dog. That’s just the walking foot mechanism functioning normally. There’s nothing you have to do, because there is nothing wrong, from what I can tell.

Thank you Uwe for replying !

I have a few adlers 69, and high post bed adler with 267 head and the feet stops flat on all 3 machines that's why i thought it should be standing flat which I found helpful for better material grip sewing heavy bags. At this point trusting your expert knowledge I will leave it like that :)

20 minutes ago, Uwe said:

As for the feed dog lifting motion, I don’t think you can easily turn on or off , or adjust the feed dog lifting motion.

You can adjust the feed dog height, but the amount of vertical movement of the feed dog is determined my an eccentric lifting cam that is not adjustable, to my knowledge.

On the feed dog attachment bracket there is a spring somewhere inside the mechanism that is locked with 2 screws and feed dog elliptic movement is canceled, it just moves forward/backward, this is how the machine came with binder installed. When 2 screws released the feed dog drops down a little and then it moves elliptically but just because the bottom metal part that feed dog touches (rubs) is eccentric. At the same time it makes metallic noises so I skipped this option.

9 hours ago, SergeyF said:

On the feed dog attachment bracket there is a spring somewhere inside the mechanism that is locked with 2 screws and feed dog elliptic movement is canceled, it just moves forward/backward, this is how the machine came with binder installed. When 2 screws released the feed dog drops down a little and then it moves elliptically but just because the bottom metal part that feed dog touches (rubs) is eccentric. At the same time it makes metallic noises so I skipped this option.

That’s very interesting. I wasn’t aware that the machine has a built it mechanism to disable vertical feed dog movement. I was trying to find some reference to this adjustment in the manuals, but didn’t see anything. I’ll have to check again. 

It’s possible that your machine has never been used with the vertical feed dog movement enabled.The lifting parts may not be as smooth against each other as they normally are with lots of use, or there may be some dirt or grit making a noise. A good cleaning and oiling of that mechanism might help. 

4 hours ago, Uwe said:

That’s very interesting. I wasn’t aware that the machine has a built it mechanism to disable vertical feed dog movement. I was trying to find some reference to this adjustment in the manuals, but didn’t see anything. I’ll have to check again. 

It’s possible that your machine has never been used with the vertical feed dog movement enabled.The lifting parts may not be as smooth against each other as they normally are with lots of use, or there may be some dirt or grit making a noise. A good cleaning and oiling of that mechanism might help. 

Here I have attached a picture of what think it does.

As far as I understood from 869 manuals it has a different approach to that movement.

231sdasd213123.jpg

21312sdasds.jpg

I think you may be missing a part or two in that mechanism. One is a small eccentric disc (269 16 011 0) that I think allows you to change the height of the feed dog when vertical feed motion is enabled. I’m not sure what the function of the flat part (269 16 007 0) is.

Do you know when your machine was built? Durkopp Adler also made some updates to the 269 design in 2017.

Manuals published by Durkopp Adler for 269 machines built through May 2017:

https://www.duerkopp-adler.com/en/main/Support/downloads/index.html?action=search&prop0=%2Fcommons%2Fdownload%2Fpublic%2F269_valid_till_May_2017%2F&prop1=

Here are the manuals for the newer versions of the DA269:

https://www.duerkopp-adler.com/en/main/Support/downloads/index.html?action=search&prop0=%2Fcommons%2Fdownload%2Fpublic%2F269%2F&prop1=

Perhaps somebody else ( @DonInReno ?) can take picture of that area on their DA269 machine to compare? 

Feed dog lifting parts through 2017:

1C287DB0-71B4-45CC-BA03-7738E8A6E2F8.jpeg

The newer DA 269 parts manual has a slightly different layout and shows slightly different parts for the feed dog lifting mechanism, including double-needle versions.

F62AC896-8CFD-4478-9CDA-29AE35C427FB.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

I think you may be missing a part or two in that mechanism. One is a small eccentric disc (269 16 011 0) that I think allows you to change the height of the feed dog when vertical feed motion is enabled. I’m not sure what the function of the flat part (269 16 007 0) is.

Do you know when your machine was built? Durkopp Adler also made some updates to the 269 design in 2017.

Manuals published by Durkopp Adler for 269 machines built through May 2017:

https://www.duerkopp-adler.com/en/main/Support/downloads/index.html?action=search&prop0=%2Fcommons%2Fdownload%2Fpublic%2F269_valid_till_May_2017%2F&prop1=

Here are the manuals for the newer versions of the DA269:

https://www.duerkopp-adler.com/en/main/Support/downloads/index.html?action=search&prop0=%2Fcommons%2Fdownload%2Fpublic%2F269%2F&prop1=

Perhaps somebody else ( @DonInReno ?) can take picture of that area on their DA269 machine to compare? 

Feed dog lifting parts through 2017:

1C287DB0-71B4-45CC-BA03-7738E8A6E2F8.jpeg

The newer DA 269 parts manual has a slightly different layout and shows slightly different parts for the feed dog lifting mechanism, including double-needle versions.

F62AC896-8CFD-4478-9CDA-29AE35C427FB.jpeg

I think I may have a small screw with a small excentric circle but it is really small. But still I can't understand how it should properly operate.

If someone would have this machine with lifting set up pictures or video will be much appreciated.

As for where my machine was made I have no idea :) Here is a badge

sd12312dsa-6.jpg