vonL

Singer 111w153 breaking thread

I am going over the seams on a boat cockpit "tent" (dont know the right word in english) using my 111w153.

I am using coats double duty aw cotton-wrapped poly core, tkt 25/tex 120 thread, schmetz 135x5 #18 needle.

About half way lnto the job the machine has started breaking the top thread eveey 25-30 cm.

I believe the hook is splitting the thread, so I dialed in the hook as close to the needle as I could, but it still breaks.

I am clueless and frustrated. 

20210429_213032.jpg

Use a larger needle, like a #140/22

Thanks, will try a larger needle :)

Update: changed to #22 needle, still splitting thread, seems like when this occurs, it also skips stitches. Hook does not catch top thread. I adjusted hook and needle timing plus hook-needle clearance, but still...

Did manage to patch the tent together, but no fun.....

Please bear with me, I am doing mostly fabric work as of lately, but this forum is by far the best (and the only?) on technical Q&A on industrials. 

I am working on a pair of jeans, so - new needle and thread today. Guterman extra heavy, 110/#18 needle should be right?

I am using 134R/135x5 needles, so lowered needle-bar and adjusted hook-needle timing and clearance. And again, plenty of skipped stitches and thread splitting. Fun thing is, this always occurs after a while, not immidiately.

I am clueless, again... 

Check the check spring. Make sure it's in control until the needle enters the fabric then it needs to be loose in order to form a loop to catch the hook.

Maybe retime.  Set needle at very bottom than raise .100 inches or 2..54mm The hook should intersect needle.  Now raise or lower needle bar to right position.   Check needle distance to the hook.  Also make sure needle guard is not pushing needle away from hook.  Check for burrs.  These machine are finicky however even worn machines can sew well if properly timed  There is also a slight chance the timing belt is off a tooth..  Uwe has great stuff on these style machines.  Including clones.  good luck

5 hours ago, vonL said:

Update: changed to #22 needle, still splitting thread, seems like when this occurs, it also skips stitches. Hook does not catch top thread. I adjusted hook and needle timing plus hook-needle clearance, but still...

My take on this is the thread should be changed to a bonded poly or bonded nylon.   Either is much stiffer than a cotton wrapped poly and makes a better loop at the needle so the hook can pick it up easier.

Once timing and needle clearance are set it shouldn’t quickly lose adjustment - screws aren’t tight enough, or improper rotation of hook drive gear so the set screw is partially out of the slot in the shaft, or ?

You may have set the timing and needle gap correctly, but many people misunderstand or misjudge these clearances.   I’d suggest reviewing one of the good videos on a singer 111w, juki lu-562 or 563, Consew 225, or other similar machine with vertical hook until you are very confident in the adjustment.

Needle deflection while sewing can also cause intermittent skipped stitches - if the needle is being bent away from the hook by the fabric nothing can be done to prevent skips.

I once inspected the hook timing on a machine that was sewing just fine - the owner had the needle reversed - may have had the needle reversed for the ten years she owned it.    Make sure the needle is installed correctly.

If the tip of the hook is bent or blunt from impacting a needle then you need a new hook.   No amount of messing with the timing or gap can make a blunt hook work correctly.   As far as I know, nobody has a video on damaged hooks (what to look for, how to correct minor damage, etc.), so the best you can do is try and compare what’s on your machine with a good hook. 

I took antoher look at timing and clearances, and lowered needlebar a bit plus hook even closer to needle. Seems like it did the trick - sews like a dream now.

Slightly embarrassing this - but at least the needle was right side towards the hook :-)

thank You guys for all great input - this forum is the very best!

Good job!  

The 135x5 needle  is available as a 134MR (multidirectional) which has an offset scarf and a stiffer shaft. It can be set with the hook closer to the needle and it will sometimes make the loop easier for the hook to pick up.

175 yrs of sewing machines and they are still inventing new needles... :lol: 

I had to look up MR needles. See attachment.

It may solve some issues but a properly set up machine and the right needle size is still mandatory.

The_special_application_needle_MR.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

On 5/7/2021 at 10:56 PM, vonL said:

I took antoher look at timing and clearances, and lowered needlebar a bit plus hook even closer to needle. Seems like it did the trick - sews like a dream now.

Slightly embarrassing this - but at least the needle was right side towards the hook :-)

thank You guys for all great input - this forum is the very best!

I'm a new owner of a beat up old singer 111w151. It was cheap and still works so that's half the battle behind me. I'm glad to hear so many smart people helping out. I may need some help later. Thanks !