JohnSP

Need suggestions for choosing a sewing machine

Hi guys, 

I'm thinking of buying a reliable sewing machine for leather working. My budget is 400-700$. What kind of on-budget sewing machine that can sew through 3-5 millimeters thickness using thick nylon thread (see the attached image) on cowhide or suede would you recommend? 

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

JohnSP

Screen Shot 2564-04-30 at 03.53.18.png

First you need to read this thread through to the end, which will assist your choice 

Thank you for your reply, sir. 

That was a whole lot of information. I have read it through and found it quite difficult to comprehend. I just need some suggestions for buying a reliable sewing machine that could fit my budget. I cant afford a heavy duty industrial sewing machine with a lot of additions.

JohnSP

Edited by JohnSP

Many if not most starting out buy second-hand industrial machines which are in your price range, have a look on Ebay or other sites, I would guess German sites might have more machines than Danish based upon the population numbers. On EBay just type "Industrial Sewing Machines"

On your first post you mention thick thread, most industrials only go up to 138 thread, to use thicker thread you eed a harness type machine which i think would be out of your price range. here is a link to thread sizes https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

Our member @DanishMan  probably has something. He has refurbished several industrial triple feed machines if I recall correctly and maybe he has a spare machine he would part with.

To chrisash,

Thank you, sir. Your advice is very helpful and I appreciate it. 

Have a great weekend.

Edited by JohnSP

To Constabulary,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Have a good weekend.

To chrisash

Thank you, sir. Your advice is very helpful and I appreciate it.

Have a good weekend.