RichR

Fender gauge question

I am working on building my first saddle.  I am following Stohlman's encyclopedias and I'm working on making the "Stohlman Fender Gauge".  Please take a look at the pictures of how far the posts on the blevins buckle sticks out.  It just doesn't seem like there is enough post left to protrude into the stirrup leathers.  Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for looking,

Rich

fender gauge 3.jpg

Fender gauge 1.jpg

fender gauge 2.jpg

Edited by RichR
better photos

You have the plates set way too far into the assembly.  You have to leave enough space below your bottom post, so that it can go into the hole and not bind on the stirrup leather.  Some people rivet the plates on the the outside of the fender, and skip the burrs, peening the rivets right into the plate.  I never cared for the look of that personally.  I usually skive the very end of the fender leg down a bit also, so it's less likely to cause a lump and the stirrup leather passes over it more smoothly.

Edit:  At this point, since it's just for a fender gauge, you could take a sharp french edger and trim the leather back so that it terminates about halfway between where it currently is and the rivets.  Then you wouldn't have to drill the rivets out to cut the excess off. 

Edited by BigSiouxSaddlery

Ok, I'll adjust the plates so they are not so deep into the straps.  Good thing the rivets are loosely in place and not "set" with a burr.  I appreciate the advice!

Rich

2 hours ago, RichR said:

Ok, I'll adjust the plates so they are not so deep into the straps.  Good thing the rivets are loosely in place and not "set" with a burr.  I appreciate the advice!

Rich

I guess if I'd have looked at the second picture more closely, I'd have seen the rivets weren't set.  Lol.  I was in a hurry, I still had lots to do and not enough day left.  But you're welcome.  Good luck.