BikerNettie

Just given singer 241-2. Have questions

Was given a Singer 241-2.  I have to redo the wiring. Can I run the machine without oil to test the electric?  Does it have to use oil?  How do you transport it for vendor fairs with the oil?  What kind of oil?

241-2   Industrial High speed. Balanced rotating hook. Automatic lubrication. Max. stitch length = 5 1/2 to the inch. For sewing heavy and extra heavy weight fabrics. 16x257 (2270)

Nettie you can redo the wiring and run it to test. In normal use if the machine has an oil sump you will have to use oil. It should have an oil sump under it. There is designated sewing machine oil. You can not use any other oil. Transporting... you should have a removal plug for draining the oil when changed. So you would have to remove & fill upon setup. You should be able to get a manual from singer. If not you can email me & I may be able to get one.

Brad

NortonCustomLeather@gmail.com

Do NOT run this machine a high speed without oil in it. It could seize. You may run it very slowly by feathering the clutch.

I put on a new gasket,, added oil & rewired..  But now the needle is hitting something inside the hole. What do i need to adjust??

there are a few things that could cause this.

1. the needle is bent.

2. the wrong needle has been put in

3. i believe this to be your issue,  it sounds like the machine is out of time. like a car the parts of your machine have to work together. When they don't your machine will not move or in your case the needle hits.

I remove the pan on mine with the oil in it and just keep it upright and put it in a plastic bag to keep dust out.  I use one table for multiple machines so my walking foot machine in in the table now and my Singer 281 and the oil pan are in a 55 gallon plastic bag in a plastic concrete mixing pan.  Maybe your bobbin case is not seated right and your needle is hitting it.