amandabstewart

McClellan with odd features---which model is it???

After extensive digging through all I can find online, I'm at a loss as to what McClellan I've ended up with.  As a live-long over of these saddles, I finally found one at an auction.  

It's in great shape, but does not appear to be a reproduction--but I can't be sure about this and am looking for more info.  Some features look like the artillery one and some look like the pack style, but it's not a mule model from what I see/can compare to others on the web.  

Saddle has:

double rigging, quarter straps are not attached by use of the halter square, stirrup hangers are brass or maybe copper--not iron, rigging rings have leather heart-shaped safes with real wool padding, but no fleece anywhere else on the saddle and it's clear that's the way it always was--it's NOT that the sheepskin is damaged or missing.  No saddle horn.  Lower rigging/girth is gone and replaced by modern latigo.  Blanket straps have brass pieces to prevent them from detaching from saddle--all look original but one. It's marked as 12" and does fit me (smaller female) and it does fit me.  I can't imagine it fitting any modern sized male.  There are no maker marks anywhere that I can see.  

Note pics on the cantle end of tree, where I put arrows--are these quick connects for saddlebags?  I do not know the name of this hardware and I don't see it on any other saddles anywhere.  What is this hardware piece called?

Any help on identifying this saddle?  

Amanda, in WV

saddle pics.JPG

Hi!

What you have is a surplus WW1 SEAT, possibly with some original coat straps ( they'll have squarish centerbar buckles in blackened brass and 'stops', which are leather washers riveted to the straps to keep them from being lost.  The brass stirrup straps loops are the key to WW1 McClellans.  The rigging looks to be later add-on stuff, as is that turntab stud on the cantle.  

Probably made in 1918 - you may find three-letter stamp on the back of the cantle or on top of the sidebar covers - that would be the ordnance subinspector that worked in the factory.  Occasionally you'll find the name or initials of the maker, although many times those were on smaller parts that get lost.

Hope this helps!

Todd H.