DirtyDusty

Favorite size round knife for skiving?

Anyone use 6” plus for skiving?  I saw on the Jeremiah Watt dvd, where he was saying how he liked a 6”-6.5” head knife. I haven’t seen too many for sale, that big, nor tried one myself. I am curious how they do, compared to a 4.5”-5”.  

I’m no expert on round knives, but I do have several small and large knives and I normally use the smaller knives  for skiving - just feels more comfortable and seems easier to me.  I think you should try both to see which you prefer.  Maybe someone local in your area could let you try a large knife.

61C45827-6CAF-4088-B97B-AA4E5FFB3919.jpeg7E632200-174A-41F1-9F2B-2DAC14836A7A.jpeg

11 hours ago, DirtyDusty said:

Anyone use 6” plus for skiving?  I saw on the Jeremiah Watt dvd, where he was saying how he liked a 6”-6.5” head knife. I haven’t seen too many for sale, that big, nor tried one myself. I am curious how they do, compared to a 4.5”-5”.  

depends a bit on what size of pieces and  thickness your skiving and cutting also I would think. 

Normally a broader, more round blade works good for skiving larger parts, although I use my pattern cutting round knife for skiving also.  A lot of times it's simply whichever knife is handy and closest to me at the time.  Sharp is the most important factor.  

I use my go to Round knife for pretty much everything including all my skiving, yes sharp and well polished works best.

Blanchard have Round knives of various sizes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331864646580

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

6 hours ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

Normally a broader, more round blade works good for skiving larger parts, although I use my pattern cutting round knife for skiving also.  A lot of times it's simply whichever knife is handy and closest to me at the time.  Sharp is the most important factor.  

100% agree - sharp is essential!