stamphandj

Need some feedback on holsters please

I could really use some constructive feedback on these holsters.
It's been a long time since I've done anything.
I kind of forgot a lot.
Thanks in advance.

holsters.jpg

Certainly easier to go on about them if the gun is in there ;)

Still, you dint' fergit SO much - this aint "bad".  If you HAVE to have something I DONT like, it would be those marks from the sewing machine foot (somewhere around here is a quick clip I did on how to eliminate that entirely).

Got a  booger in the stitch on the lighter one is pretty obvious, but the colors look good

I like the dye color and the other one will patina very nicely after some time.   Your tooling looks fine except for the bottom flower where it looks crowded and it looks like you missed some back grounding by the belt loop.   But what do I know, I still consider myself to be a noob! 

Looks good. Not too bad for just getting back into it.  IMHO, next time I would leave a wider border around the carving on the reinforcement piece for the stitching, so it doesn’t get lost in, or cover up the carving.

I'd say that the workmanship looks best on the upper dark holster.

Here are my thoughts on the two compared to each other:

The sewing looks to be more consistent on the dark holster in that that the lines seem "straighter" and the distance to the edge is more even compared to the light holster. On the light holster, a lot of the sewing is too near to the edge on the top of the holster, compared to what it is on the lower part of it. 

The holes for the belt loops look better on the dark holster. The light holster have some issues with the rounded ends of the strap holes. most notably on the upper hole.

On the light holster, the reinforcement piece has got a nice little "peak" that I think looks good. But due to the stitching not having a hole at the same spot, the stitching sort of blurs this little detail. Maybe the peak should have been a smidge higher, and then there should have been a stitching hole exactly in line with the peak. That way the stitching would have accentuated the shape of the reinforcement piece.

Carvings or no carvings is a matter of personal taste, just like the colour of the leather. So any opinion on that would just be my personal opinion and that is not really constructive criticism.

But all that said, I still think the holsters are looking good, and the most important thing is that they hold the gun they were designed to do.

Brgds

Jonas

Thank you folks for your feedback. I truly appreciate it.