Sign in to follow this  
ChayaRo

Dying Leather (Bull skin)

Hi, 

I work for a company  outside of the US that manufactures products that are made from leather. 

Up until now we used to by the processed leather after it was dyed and now we are looking into doing the process in house .

We have tried a few ways of dying the skin black  and met with companies in Europe but didnt reach the result we  were looking for. 

We were told that there is alot of companies in the US the specializes in these kind of things and have a lot of knowledge. 

Since we are a big company we are looking to work and purchase on a large scale once we find the right company to work with. 

If anyone has any insight on this topic or know any good companies in the state that specializes in this that we can meet with,

I would really appreciate it if they could send me in the right direction. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ChayaRo said:

We were told that there is alot of companies in the US the specializes in these kind of things and have a lot of knowledge. 

Do you want a company that sells black leather or a company that will dye your leather black? 

Sounds like they want someone to teach them how to do it.

On 5/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, ChayaRo said:

Hi, 

I work for a company  outside of the US that manufactures products that are made from leather. 

Up until now we used to by the processed leather after it was dyed and now we are looking into doing the process in house .

We have tried a few ways of dying the skin black  and met with companies in Europe but didnt reach the result we  were looking for. 

Since we are a big company we are looking to work and purchase on a large scale once we find the right company to work with. 

If anyone has any insight on this topic or know any good companies in the state that specializes in this that we can meet with,

I would really appreciate it if they could send me in the right direction. 

Thanks!

Most any tannery in the U.S. can produce blackened leather in any type of tanning. What type of product? That has to be known to get the right leather.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:31 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

Do you want a company that sells black leather or a company that will dye your leather black? 

Thanks for your reply.

We are looking for experts on the matter. 

Since we are a company that's based out the the states and looking to dye on a large  scale I think it would be hard to do it here. 

Maybe ater on if we purchase the skins here and have it delivered to the dyeing company and then  to our factory it could be a good idea.

At the moment we are looking for  experts and dyeing products that good helps us

On 5/6/2021 at 9:02 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Sounds like they want someone to teach them how to do it.

Totally right! 

Do you know anybody?

Thanks for your reply.

It is a religious product that consists of strips produced from bull skin dyed black.

What  tannery companies would you reccomend?

It might help if you were to give your exact location.  Otherwise you won't get much useful information.

An old and inexpensive way is to make Iron acetate, just put steel wool into white vinegar until it no longer dissolves. It reacts with the tannin in the leather oxidizing it. At first the leather will turn gray then darker the more you apply all the way to jet black. After the leather dries the vinegar smell goes away. It is very inexpensive and works great with no obvious side effects after a period of five years .I hope this helps. 

On 5/12/2021 at 5:22 PM, Tugadude said:

It might help if you were to give your exact location.  Otherwise you won't get much useful information.

I am staying on the east coast but willing to travel around the US to find a solution 

1 hour ago, ChayaRo said:

I am staying on the east coast but willing to travel around the US to find a solution 

Then I would reach out to tanneries in the eastern U.S. and inquire whether they would be willing to do job lots for you.  Maybe they will.  The smaller ones most likely.  Maybe someone has a list to help get you started.  Other than using the internet to search, I'm not sure how to get that info.  Maybe someone here will know.

Edit:  Found this:

https://bestleather.org/directory/leather-tanneries/

Edited by Tugadude
added info

On 5/18/2021 at 11:33 PM, Leescustomleather said:

An old and inexpensive way is to make Iron acetate, just put steel wool into white vinegar until it no longer dissolves. It reacts with the tannin in the leather oxidizing it. At first the leather will turn gray then darker the more you apply all the way to jet black. After the leather dries the vinegar smell goes away. It is very inexpensive and works great with no obvious side effects after a period of five years .I hope this helps. 

Thank you! This definitely did help . 

We tried it and were satisfied with the outcome except for the finish. 

Do you know how we can get a nice glossy finish top layer?

Thanks Again!

Yes I do , it is an aerosol product called Master Quick Shine, it stays flexible and makes the leather glossy. It is a combo of waxes and requires no buffing. I have been using it on knife sheaths for a couple of years now and am happy with the results.

On 6/20/2021 at 9:47 PM, Leescustomleather said:

Yes I do , it is an aerosol product called Master Quick Shine, it stays flexible and makes the leather glossy. It is a combo of waxes and requires no buffing. I have been using it on knife sheaths for a couple of years now and am happy with the results.

Thank You! 

I will try that. 

Do you know where I can purchase it?