Sign in to follow this  
ChiefLostCoast

How is every one storing leather?

I have amassed about 12-15 rolls of leather of various colors and weights over the pandemic....now I need the best practice of storing them.  Solutions and pictures would be awesome.

5 hours ago, ChiefLostCoast said:

12-15 rolls of leather of various colors and weights

You will find that different types of leather call for different storage methods. I have mostly firm chrome tanned leather which I roll up and store in a dark, dry space. I have a few veg-tan hides that I keep rolled up in butcher paper so that the surface does not age irregularly. I hang some of my softer leathers (goat, pig, deer, garment) on some hooks, again in a dark, dry space. Some people store their hides rolled-up in PCV tubes, and others store them flat. 

I have to add that I roll the hides with the grain on the inside so that color does not get exposed. Then I can more comfortably stack them on top of each other.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

I am building a pole building for leather work and some other pastimes. Was thinking of using a tall metal cabinet for veg tanned. Wonder if it will mold (unseated)?

i use the boxes they come in I write on the sides what type thickness etc.  and stand them up or stack them up. But i live where humidity isn't a problem and have enough room.

I just roll them grain in so they don't get scratches, and stack on the shelf under my bench.

I believe that storing leather is very important part of its care. I store my leather products in a dark, cool and dry place where they are away from any harms i can think of. I like to hang my leather garments on a sturdy wooden hanger. 

On 5/8/2021 at 9:18 AM, tsunkasapa said:

I just roll them grain in so they don't get scratches, and stack on the shelf under my bench.

:17:

1 minute ago, PastorBob said:

:17:

Yeah that again, but over my bench.

I roll mine grain side in and store them vertically in a pantry cabinet.  I keep the door shut to keep the sun off.

Todd

Congratulations on building up your leather collection! Proper storage is key to ensuring that your leather rolls remain in good condition for years to come. Here are some best practices for storing your leather:

1. Clean the Leather: Before you store your leather, make sure it's clean and dry. Wipe off any dust or dirt with a soft cloth, and allow it to air out overnight.

2. Roll the Leather: The best way to store leather is by rolling it. This prevents creases and folds from forming, which can damage the material over time. To roll the leather, start at one end of the roll and gently wrap it around itself until you reach the other end.

3. Use Acid-Free Tissue Paper: Place acid-free tissue paper between each layer of rolled-up leather to prevent color transfer or sticking together.

4. Store in Plastic Bags: Once rolled up with tissue paper inside, place each roll into its own plastic bag before putting them all together into a larger storage container such as a bin or large cardboard box.

5. Keep in Dark & Dry Area: Sunlight can fade colors on certain types of leathers over time so find an area free from direct sunlight or artificial light sources if possible like a closet or basement space free of moisture.

6.Label Each Bag/Container Clearly- Make sure that each container has clearly labeled contents so that when you need something specific later on down-the-line there’s no confusion about what’s inside

By taking these steps, your collection will be protected from damage caused by moisture, sunlight exposure while remaining easy-to-find when needed again in future projects!

Mine are rolled, same as they arrive and left on a storage shelf. I use them up quickly, so don't do more than that. However, once a product has been made, those go into plastic storage containers, to reduce sunlight, dust etc, until sold. I keep vegetable tanned and chrome separate.

I roll my leather around those long cardboard rolls that fabric is sold from, in fabric stores. I got my first ones at an estate sale - people bought the fabric and left the rolls behind. These really help in the rolling and prevents the innermost layer from creasing. It also allows me to keep the rolls upright and takes up less space. I keep the cardboard roll more exposed on  one side and place the rolls upright supported on that side, in a dark closet. No plastic but I wrap the whole lot in an old, cotton sheet. I sprinkle dried neem leaves to protect from insects and a couple of packets of desiccants to manage humidity (very humid where I live) The neem leaves do not stain and do not leave an unpleasant odor. I  also use some cedar wood sachets. One can never be too careful!