Sign in to follow this  
Oldiesfan

Singer 45K89 missing tension parts or not?

This Singer 45K89 stood for 18 years in a barn . The Farmer ( has Horses and Cows) used it for repairs .

Nothing moved when i tried to turn the large wheel . I paid a small amount of € for this machine .

Now a few days later the machine is running en stitching. 

Not perfect because some parts need to be cleaned and polished .

When i look at pictures on the internet than i get confused! It looks that there are some parts missing! Or not ? Look at the pictures what i mean .

My machine has a roller-foot and no extra tension on top . Only that what you see in the first two pics . Picture 3 shows what i see on a lot of 45k machines .

Picture 4 shows the machine outside the farmers barn ready for pick-up. 

The Kobold motor runs smooth,  but also needs a cleaning and adjustments. 

PSX_20210503_230513.jpg

PSX_20210508_165947.jpg

PSX_20210508_181341.jpg

PSX_20210503_232802.jpg

Does someone know if there's something missing on my machine B) There so many different 45K(89) versions that it's possible nothing is missing :) But for now is a question!

4 hours ago, Oldiesfan said:

Does someone know if there's something missing on my machine B) There so many different 45K(89) versions that it's possible nothing is missing :) But for now is a question!

Hi Oldiesfan, yes the machine is missing some parts. The 45K89 was called a kick foot machine, here is a video of one restored, if you want to see the parts you need it is best to download the parts manual and look them up. By the looks of it you are missing quite a lot of parts which are very hard to find but not impossible. By the looks of the badge your machine could be from the 1960´s but it has unfortunately been left out in the rain a long time!! With the parts missing it is equivalent to a 45k93 with a roller foot, the 93 had reverse but no roller foot and the 25 had the roller foot but no reverse???Lol....

Edited by jimi

8 hours ago, jimi said:

Hi Oldiesfan, yes the machine is missing some parts. The 45K89 was called a kick foot machine, here is a video of one restored, if you want to see the parts you need it is best to download the parts manual and look them up. By the looks of it you are missing quite a lot of parts which are very hard to find but not impossible. By the looks of the badge your machine could be from the 1960´s but it has unfortunately been left out in the rain a long time!! With the parts missing it is equivalent to a 45k93 with a roller foot, the 93 had reverse but no roller foot and the 25 had the roller foot but no reverse???Lol....

Thanks for the reply!

I searched for the 45k93 model looks and indeed my 45k89 looks the same .

The Farmer told me that he bought this machine as a roller-foot version . So I believe that before he bought it somebody removed the parts that were necessery for a walkingfoot type to turn it in a Roller-foot version .

Question ! Why turn it i a roller-foot.  What are the benefits?

It never stood in the rain haha .

The seller ( farmer ) put it outside the Barn so we cut pick it up when nobody at home .

Eventtuell he was at home and helped with dragging the 45k89 to the Car . A heavy Pfaff Cast iron machine base made almost impossible to do this alone or with my Wife as helper.

The machine is in working order and after more cleaning and some polishing it will Sewing even better .

29 minutes ago, Oldiesfan said:

Question ! Why turn it i a roller-foot.  What are the benefits?

Who knows why they would want to do that but i have heard people took these parts off because of the noise the foot part made?? the model before the 89 was the one that made a louder noise i think, it was the 33 which was superseeded by the 89 around about the 1920´s, yes it does sound stupid Lol... The 45k93 was the last.....lets say....upgraded model before they changed to the 45A and 45B models, the badge on your machine is from the 1960´s i think so it should be in very good condition normally unless it has had a very hard working life. The table has given in and bent because the ones for the cylinder arm machines had a extra arm to support the machine underneath, so remember this if you make a new table top! The 53,56,89 had a lot of accessories available for them back in the day which unfortunately never seem to come with the machines people find these days?? you can see them in the parts manual, the only ones that are usually found with the machines are the material guides and sometimes the swing arm like the one on yours.

6 hours ago, jimi said:

Who knows why they would want to do that but i have heard people took these parts off because of the noise the foot part made?? the model before the 89 was the one that made a louder noise i think, it was the 33 which was superseeded by the 89 around about the 1920´s, yes it does sound stupid Lol... The 45k93 was the last.....lets say....upgraded model before they changed to the 45A and 45B models, the badge on your machine is from the 1960´s i think so it should be in very good condition normally unless it has had a very hard working life. The table has given in and bent because the ones for the cylinder arm machines had a extra arm to support the machine underneath, so remember this if you make a new table top! The 53,56,89 had a lot of accessories available for them back in the day which unfortunately never seem to come with the machines people find these days?? you can see them in the parts manual, the only ones that are usually found with the machines are the material guides and sometimes the swing arm like the one on yours.

Machine is in a nice condition .

This because they are built like a Abraham's and had probably no hard working live . I bought a massive oak tabletop ( 1000x600x40mm ) . I also put an extra arm underneath for support.  But i think that it's not necessary haha .

I paid +- 50 € for this machine . Not included the gasoline that was needed for the pick-up  .

15 hours ago, Oldiesfan said:

I paid +- 50 € for this machine . Not included the gasoline that was needed for the pick-up  .

That was a good price Oldiesfan, it will last another 100yrs at least lol....They had a different type needle plate and feed dog compared to the other models. The needle plate is flat on top and the feed dog is also flat and not curved, unfortunately they don´t copy them anymore but the other type you can find a cheap needle plate and feed dog which will fit on the other models. I think the holes are spaced differently so the plates are not a straight swap over?? 

On a new made old look table the 45k89 is in working order . The 8 cotton thread mentioned in another topic is working fine in this machine and with the needle installed that was already in the machine when I bought it. 

PSX_20210531_194545.jpg

PSX_20210529_161256.jpg

Nice one Oldiesfan...nice to see the oldies are being saved!

18 hours ago, jimi said:

Nice one Oldiesfan...nice to see the oldies are being saved!

As long there are people like us a lot of these will be saved from scrap yards. 

But sometimes there's only one option . Take them apart and save the parts that are oke and ready for a second life.

Edited by Oldiesfan

10 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Nice!!! Too bad the parts for the jump foot are missing. I love the cast iron stand very much!

Sometimes you can't have it all haha . I'm glad that the machine is functional after so long in a Barn .

It's now a roller-foot type and that's oké with me .

Edited by Oldiesfan