Mbsz53

Determining knife quality

Hello all,

Are there any ways to determine the quality of the metal in a knife sorry from using it and reputation? I've come across a head knife and can't determine the maker. I read that it's important to attract a magnet. Is that correct? Any other tips that might indicate quality and ability to sharpen and hold edge?

Thank you,

Maurice

You can buy a Rockwell hardness tester that will tell you the hardness of the blade. You can take a file and do a file test but that takes alot of experience IMO. ITs not easy for a novice to check steel quality. Actually the best is to look at reviews if you can find them or talk to someone who owns one. Other than that sharpening is my goto method for testing a knife blade hardness. You have to remember the human element, some folks like a super hard blade so they don't sharpen as much, some like a blade easier to sharpen so like a blade a bit softer. Myself i prefer the later a good solid blade that is easy to sharpen and holds a decent edge. i guess really quality is somewhat a personal choice as well. Where is this knife being sold? do you have any pictures seeing what you are wanting would be a big help.

Here are a couple of pictures. I can't find any information about the maker. Thank you for taking the time to advise.

Screenshot_20210509-081621.png

Screenshot_20210509-081556.png

ok yes i saw this knife on ebay, if you have purchased it it appears to be a solid knife that has been taken care of, is not worn out in that the edge and original grind are still sound. i do notice the grind is a partial taper type, higher end blades usually have a full tapered grind but not always. There is no way to tell much more until you get it in your hands and sharpen it and use it for a bit.  Buying used blades you always look at the wear of the blade, the grind type and try to deduce the amount of use or abuse, a soft blade or highly used blade would for example show much more sharpening wear. it does appear they polished the blade for the photos but that is a good thing imo a step you wont have to do.

Edited by chuck123wapati

45 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

ok yes i saw this knife on ebay, if you have purchased it it appears to be a solid knife that has been taken care of, is not worn out in that the edge and original grind are still sound. i do notice the grind is a partial taper type, higher end blades usually have a full tapered grind but not always. There is no way to tell much more until you get it in your hands and sharpen it and use it for a bit.  Buying used blades you always look at the wear of the blade, the grind type and try to deduce the amount of use or abuse, a soft blade or highly used blade would for example show much more sharpening wear. it does appear they polished the blade for the photos but that is a good thing imo a step you wont have to do.

Thank you, Chuck.

7 hours ago, Mbsz53 said:

I read that it's important to attract a magnet. Is that correct?

Almost ANY ferrous metal will be magnetic. Mild steel, plain iron, are just a couple that are, but totally worthless as far as knives go. The magnet has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the knife.

2 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Almost ANY ferrous metal will be magnetic. Mild steel, plain iron, are just a couple that are, but totally worthless as far as knives go. The magnet has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the knife.

Thank you for this valuable input.

I can tell you that the brand is the logo of Mast Harness Hardware, who sold out to Weaver back in the mid 2000s(?).  Eli Schlabagh owned it, and now is the owner of Landis sales and Service in Illinois.  He would be able to tell you something about the knife, and is a wonderful and interesting person to visit with.  

There are types of stainless steels that have weak to no magnetic attraction . I personally don't care for stainless because they require a harder abrasive to grind a proper bevel and they are more time consuming to get a very sharp edge. Plus I prefer the patina of a good used high carbon steel blade. That all said a piece of good quality 4 to5 oz. veg-tan leather glued to a very flat board with some polishing compound rubbed on will do wonders to give you a very sharp edge.