americandreaming

Removing ink stains

7 hours ago, americandreaming said:

Does anybody please have advice as to removing or at least lightening the super strong ink stains in the attached photograph?

I think that you have a permanent stain. If you try to remove or even just lighten it you might damage the surrounding leather. My suggestion would be, instead, to darken the leather. Clean the leather with Lexol Leather Cleaner, then apply a layer of Dark Brown Fiebings Antique Paste with a microfiber cloth. Apply a thin coat, and rubbing it in with a circular motion using a microfiber cloth. Let the finish dry overnight, then buff with a shoe brush. Repeat the process if you want a darker color.

The bag has a wonderful used patina; just consider the ink spots as part of the patina that comes from use?

Is that from a fountain pen or a ballpoint pen?  What about a single drop of oxalic acid?

Perhaps consider putting some  decorative spots or small conchos over the stains and make it look like part of the bag? But that looks like the back of the bag? Not as noticeable there.    If  its just for you, and you can live with it , then  leave it as it is. 

As 'sbrownn' said, it does have a nice patina. 

HS

Start with Isopropanol rubbing alcohol and dab it on the spot and blot it off, don't wipe. You may have to do this several times repeatedly. If ISO doesn't work, you can try D-Limonene and or "goof off". As mentioned, this may lighten and or remove some of the color from the leather. If this happens, try conditioning the area to see if it darkens it up or you can touch up the area with some dye to blend it in

Angelus Spot Remover.  Other companies make it as well.  It is made specifically for helping with leather or suede.  A small bottle should be under $5.

1 hour ago, JohnnyLongpants said:

Angelus Spot Remover.  Other companies make it as well.  It is made specifically for helping with leather or suede.  A small bottle should be under $5.

I found this in the reviews for this product (on Amazon):

"My son dropped two Crayola markers in a new leather bag and it soaked all the way through to the front of the leather. I started to use this cleaner and noticed it fading the leather more than the ink, so I stopped. So, if you mean removing dye for leather (to lighten it), I think it will do a decent job, if you mean another kind of stain ON the leather, it might change the surrounding color more than you'd like."

Sadly I will suggest there is nothing you can do to remove the ink without altering the surrounding area.   Darkening the entire bag is likely the best solution to "hide" the ink marks or do nothing.   

Silverd

On 5/15/2021 at 10:02 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

I found this in the reviews for this product (on Amazon):

"My son dropped two Crayola markers in a new leather bag and it soaked all the way through to the front of the leather. I started to use this cleaner and noticed it fading the leather more than the ink, so I stopped. So, if you mean removing dye for leather (to lighten it), I think it will do a decent job, if you mean another kind of stain ON the leather, it might change the surrounding color more than you'd like."

Except that I have actually used it, and know people who use it on a daily basis to remove stains from leather.  I might suggest relying on that experience over the experience of a random Amazon user.

Even if it does fade the area surrounding the ink, there are solutions for that.  If the idea is to get the ink out, Angelus Spot Remover is among the best on the market.

Id like to see an example of an ink stain in leather (vegtan) removed successfully.   I would be very impressed.

Silverd

It seems like it would take some airbrush/dye blending.

How about adding something like this to both corners. maybe cut from  distressed leather?

cfa87a3fa9174df2d17c99dd4a34083e.jpg

It seems like it would take some airbrush/dye blending.:huh:

On 5/28/2021 at 7:16 PM, Silverd said:

Id like to see an example of an ink stain in leather (vegtan) removed successfully.   I would be very impressed.

Silverd

On finished leather (i.e. any commercial good), you can get respectable results.  Attached is a piece of veg tan  that I wrote two Sharpie permanent marker squiggles on, then removed one.  I had to adjust the light so you can see that there is still a bit of a shadow where the first one was.  I actually had to write the second squiggle again because I got a little to eager with the spot remover.  The arrow points to where the first squiggle was.

This leather was not pre-finished from the tannery.  I haven't touched it in months but all it had was some Lexol and one of the Fiebing's products we all use.  Tan-Kote, maybe?

On unfinished veg tan, I agree with you it is so porous and dry, it absorbs very easily and won't let go.  Heck, even water can stain it.  Of course, not all inks are the same, either.  The best I have seen on plain veg tan is taking the ink from black to gray, but the marks were still visible at a distance.  (Hopefully, no one here is trying to sell finished leather goods made out of unfinished veg tan).

I don't want to overstate it, so I'll be clear: this wouldn't work if someone spilled quality fountain pen ink on a brand new side of unfinished veg tan, but it can help someone who gets a mark on a saddle, briefcase, wallet, or shoe.  I think OP wouldn't do terrible to invest a few dollars and try a quality spot remover.

If spot remover doesn't lighten it adequately (hopefully this is not one of those Uni-ball pens with the anti-check washing ink), plan B is going to be live with it, and plan C could be to sew on a patch. :-)

Cheers,

-JohnnyLongpants

Inked20210605_0821640~2_LI.jpg

Edited by JohnnyLongpants

On 5/10/2021 at 11:39 PM, americandreaming said:

Does anybody please have advice as to removing or at least lightening the super strong ink stains in the attached photograph?

Many thanks

vintage dinky back stain.jpg

My first thought was the old cigarette burn on the carpet trick of taking the burn out with a hole punch (A sharpened piece of plumbing pipe for non leatherworkers) and replacing it with an identicle piece from behind the sofa. Wouldn't work here unless you had another piece of leather with the same patina.

It looks like it might be a dopp bag. If so maybe a couple of antique brass air holes (grommets) with the same in the corresponding corner.

6 hours ago, toxo said:

My first thought was the old cigarette burn on the carpet trick of taking the burn out with a hole punch (A sharpened piece of plumbing pipe for non leatherworkers) and replacing it with an identicle piece from behind the sofa. Wouldn't work here unless you had another piece of leather with the same patina.

It looks like it might be a dopp bag. If so maybe a couple of antique brass air holes (grommets) with the same in the corresponding corner.

That 'cigarette burn' trick is a pretty slick idea.

I agree that putting a couple of grommets (and possibly, matching ones on the right side) could be a pretty elegant solution.  No one but the original owner would know anything had been repaired.

Edited by JohnnyLongpants