MtlBiker

Lining Moulded Veg Tan??

I just made my first leather pouch using 4-5 oz finished leather (no idea what it was called) and it turned out fairly well.  But I've got some 3-4 oz veg tan leather arriving today and I'd like to try wet-forming another small pouch.  But I'd also like the inside of the pouch to have a lining, mainly to hide the belt loop stitching (or rivets) and the front flap snap.

If I wet form the front of the pouch first, I imagine that it might be tough (impossible?) to glue a lining to it afterwards.  And if I glue it before wet forming, would that work?  Or would the contact cement prevent or affect the wet forming?  And if I do glue first, I'd also have to have the belt loop already attached as well as the front snap installed.

I have some thin pieces of calfskin (?) that is already black which I thought might make a good lining.  These were scraps I got from a leather supplier.

The item I want to wet form for is a small metal RFI-shielded credit card holder... not very thick.  It's about 1/4" thick and 2 1/2" x 3 3/4".  So it's not extreme moulding that's needed.  Just something to get my feet, uh, my leather, wet.

So, what should I line my 3-4 oz veg tan with?  Should I die and mould it before gluing a lining?  Would it work to mould the outer and then glue the thin calfskin to the interior?  Or should I buy some 2-3 oz veg tan for the interior and if so, should I glue the two parts together before moulding?  (After having attached the belt loop and front snap?)

Thanks for any advice.

wet mold the outer skin and lining together. clamp them in place until dry, once dry ,take them apart and apply glue and put them back together. once the glue is set you can dampen the leather and do some fine tuning if needed. 

1 hour ago, buzzardbait said:

wet mold the outer skin and lining together. clamp them in place until dry, once dry ,take them apart and apply glue and put them back together. once the glue is set you can dampen the leather and do some fine tuning if needed. 

Thank you!  I hadn't thought of doing it that way.  Sounds like it'll work well.

Any thought on whether I can use the calfskin leather (that's already finished) for the lining or should I use a thinner veg tan?