Finished up these wristbands for a band in Michigan. Lots of time involved and finding snaps that are easy to unsnap. I had to spread the spring in each socket so they could easily be opened. I used line 20. I think I'll look into magnetic closures if I do any more wristbands.

185807732_10221255143022474_2261106805833890689_n.jpg

I've seen mostly glove snaps on clothing and light-weight accessories. Until very recently I didn't even know line snaps existed...

Cheap glove snaps can open too easily, but decent ones hold well enough for bracelets. (Now if somebody could tell me how to tell the difference before buying....)

4 hours ago, Hardrada said:

3 hours ago, Klara said:

I've seen mostly glove snaps on clothing and light-weight accessories. Until very recently I didn't even know line snaps existed...

Cheap glove snaps can open too easily, but decent ones hold well enough for bracelets. (Now if somebody could tell me how to tell the difference before buying....)

That was my problem. Didn't know the difference between all the varieties of snaps. I'll look into more snaps. Thanks

I was excited to see the pull-the-dot snaps until I saw the price of the setting tools.  Prohibitive for hobbyists.  Otherwise, they appear to be great.

Glove snaps are the ones with the little parallel wires inside the female part. And so far it looks as if one could "tighten the fit" on a cheap snap by bending the wires slightly inwards. That's what I did this morning after a bracelet came off yesterday. But possibly I had bent the wires outwards when setting the snaps, thus making them worse than they are (I've read something along those lines here in the forum).

@Tugadude It's not only the price of the tools but also the price for the snaps! And I don't even know where I would want to use snaps that are very hard to open. Maybe a multitool-pocket for jungle excursions? But in that case a buckle would do it. 

I have line snaps on a bought belt (to be able to change the western style buckles) and they are fine as I don't change the buckle every day). When I made my belt, I used the cheap glove snaps (they came in a set with setting tools, rivets, revolving punch and hammer) and they work as well because the pull on the belt is not in the direction that would open the snaps. 

1 hour ago, Klara said:

Glove snaps are the ones with the little parallel wires inside the female part. And so far it looks as if one could "tighten the fit" on a cheap snap by bending the wires slightly inwards. That's what I did this morning after a bracelet came off yesterday. But possibly I had bent the wires outwards when setting the snaps, thus making them worse than they are (I've read something along those lines here in the forum).

@Tugadude It's not only the price of the tools but also the price for the snaps! And I don't even know where I would want to use snaps that are very hard to open. Maybe a multitool-pocket for jungle excursions? But in that case a buckle would do it. 

I have line snaps on a bought belt (to be able to change the western style buckles) and they are fine as I don't change the buckle every day). When I made my belt, I used the cheap glove snaps (they came in a set with setting tools, rivets, revolving punch and hammer) and they work as well because the pull on the belt is not in the direction that would open the snaps. 

I don't use snaps a lot, but I do use them, Line 20 and Line 24 both and I've never had issues with them.  The only thing I notice is that I have to be extremely careful when setting them.  I use the standard tool for it and of course you have to be very careful to keep the tool vertical or it is easy to get a bad result.  I'd love to have a press, but again, for a hobbyist it is a pretty decent investment when you are using it sporadically.

1 hour ago, Klara said:

I am pretty happy with the modification of my bracelet snap: The bracelet has collided often enough with the feedbags I've loaded and unloaded this afternoon that I am confident it'll hold up to normal use.

I don't have a press either, but I find the glove snaps as easy to set as rivets - once I'd figured out how the pieces go together and that there are 4 different colours in my box...

Edited by Klara
added info

I have had the best luck with studs and a slotted hole.  I hardly use snaps at all anymore.

6 hours ago, benlilly1 said:

That was my problem. Didn't know the difference between all the varieties of snaps. I'll look into more snaps. Thanks

MAybe able to cover these in leather and have no snaps at all!

https://www.amazon.com/Bracelet-Stainless-Jewelry-Making-Customizing/dp/B08319ZWDW/ref=sr_1_22?dchild=1&keywords=metal+engraving+blanks&qid=1621016090&sr=8-22

34 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I like that solution.

9 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I was excited to see the pull-the-dot snaps until I saw the price of the setting tools.  Prohibitive for hobbyists.  Otherwise, they appear to be great.

Ditto. I'd love to use them, but the investment to go in can't be justified at this point in time. It's worse for me, what with the exchange rate and duties and all. :(

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i didn't think going that route.:huh:

13 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Someone on here cuts up the steel bands that are used to fasten some goods to pallets to get a similar blank.

5 hours ago, Klara said:

Someone on here cuts up the steel bands that are used to fasten some goods to pallets to get a similar blank.

That be Frodo i believe.