Recently got an original Colt 1877 and decided it needed a holster to compliment it so I made this for it. Fully suede lined to be soft on the nickel finish on the Colt. It was made in 1883. 

Thanks for looking. 

IMG_6961_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_6962_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_6963_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_6971_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_6965_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Edited by JWheeler331

Nice looking holster.  If I were sewing it, I probably wouldn't pull the stitches so tight.

I especially like the rounded edges.  What did you use to do that?

11 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

Nice looking holster.  If I were sewing it, I probably wouldn't pull the stitches so tight.

I especially like the rounded edges.  What did you use to do that?

Thanks for the advise. What rounded edges are you talking about? 

I used a number two edge beveller on the edges if that is what you mean.  

I'm droolin!!!! The holster is awful nice too lol. 

56 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I'm droolin!!!! The holster is awful nice too lol. 

Thanks Chuck. 

The 1877, while prone to breakage, has long been a gun I have wanted. I prefer blued guns over nickel and stainless but it came with lots of reloading stuff for it and was just too good to pass up. Everything functions as it should also. 

1 hour ago, JWheeler331 said:

Thanks for the advise. What rounded edges are you talking about? 

I used a number two edge beveller on the edges if that is what you mean.  

I thought it looked like some of the edges had been rounded as well as beveled but I guess not.

13 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

I thought it looked like some of the edges had been rounded as well as beveled but I guess not.

The edges on the strap have a rounded appearance but that is mostly from the crease line I made as a border.  

43 years making holsters and I don't remember a single request for the Colt Lightning or Thunderer models. I was ready, though! My collection includes an original Colt Lightning model that came to me via the estate of a long-time employee of Colt, reportedly assembled using parts left in stock during the 1930s Depression years. The serial number on the frame indicates 1902 production, but none of the other parts are numbered, indicating to me that the back story is likely to be true, especially with the original owner having been employed in the Colt factory for many years.

The Thunderer .41 caliber was reportedly William Bonney's personal favorite (Billy the Kid). The Lightning model .38 was the standard issue revolver of the Washington DC metropolitan police, back in the day. Quite a few made, but relatively few remaining in serviceable condition.

They are a bit delicate and replacement parts are impossible to find. I have fired my Lightning, but only sparingly and using very light loads.

Very nice job on the holster! Great design, period-correct, and very nice workmanship.

I would have made a border on the loop for a better result. But other wise it's a nice holster and I like your gun too.

Greeting from Switzerland

Jesse

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

43 years making holsters and I don't remember a single request for the Colt Lightning or Thunderer models. I was ready, though! My collection includes an original Colt Lightning model that came to me via the estate of a long-time employee of Colt, reportedly assembled using parts left in stock during the 1930s Depression years. The serial number on the frame indicates 1902 production, but none of the other parts are numbered, indicating to me that the back story is likely to be true, especially with the original owner having been employed in the Colt factory for many years.

The Thunderer .41 caliber was reportedly William Bonney's personal favorite (Billy the Kid). The Lightning model .38 was the standard issue revolver of the Washington DC metropolitan police, back in the day. Quite a few made, but relatively few remaining in serviceable condition.

They are a bit delicate and replacement parts are impossible to find. I have fired my Lightning, but only sparingly and using very light loads.

Very nice job on the holster! Great design, period-correct, and very nice workmanship.

Thank you. As a kid watching Young Guns 1 and 2 and as someone who loves western history I have always wanted a pair of blued 1877 Colts. Over the years I had chances to buy them but for one reason or another I didn't. When I found this one it was not exactly what I wanted but came with lots of reloading components such brass, bullets, dies, 2 bullet molds and the gun functions as it should so I jumped on it. 

4 hours ago, WyattEarp said:

I would have made a border on the loop for a better result. But other wise it's a nice holster and I like your gun too.

Greeting from Switzerland

Jesse

I almost did but wanted to try a mix of old west and some styling from a Brill holster so I used a textured beveller around the edges and around the makers mark.  

Edited by JWheeler331

18 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

The edges on the strap have a rounded appearance but that is mostly from the crease line I made as a border.  

Did you use a "hot" creasing tool?

23 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Did you use a "hot" creasing tool?

No. Just a standard Craftool Pro Adjustable Creaser. 

The Thunderer was an interesting pistol.  Surprisingly comfortable in the hand, but it has a reputation for spending a lot of time at the gunsmith.  Lots of little parts that can break.

The holster design is just about perfect for that pistol and you did a nice job.  I'm not crazy about the rivets instead of stitching, but I kinda have a thing about rivets.

6 hours ago, TexasJack said:

The Thunderer was an interesting pistol.  Surprisingly comfortable in the hand, but it has a reputation for spending a lot of time at the gunsmith.  Lots of little parts that can break.

The holster design is just about perfect for that pistol and you did a nice job.  I'm not crazy about the rivets instead of stitching, but I kinda have a thing about rivets.

Hey, thanks for the comments. Yeah, the 1877s are a finicky bunch. This one functions well at the moment. The holster is actually supposed to have stitching and rivets but I rushed and completely forgot to stitch around the rivets and in my haste forgot to go back and do so. I may still do it thought. I would rather not trust just one of that style rivet on each side. The holster is a copy from an actual period holster minus the stitching that I forgot. 

This is another one of a similar holster that I did in the same style. It has better rivets and also the stitching. And if I am not mistaken the original has the stitching all the way around the rivet rather than on just one side.

IMG_5590.jpg

Edited by JWheeler331

both holsters you shared are beautiful.  I haven't done any western style holsters yet.  Mine have all been modern semi-auto firearms or newer revolvers.  Very nice.  I am going to have to get a creaser.  I love the stamping on the newest photo you added...simple but elegant.

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

both holsters you shared are beautiful.  I haven't done any western style holsters yet.  Mine have all been modern semi-auto firearms or newer revolvers.  Very nice.  I am going to have to get a creaser.  I love the stamping on the newest photo you added...simple but elegant.

Thank you. I wanted something that looked fairly period correct.