Sign in to follow this  
palvim

8y old JUKI vs a copy

Hello All,

I'm debating if I should get a second hand 8 year old JUKI original machine or go for a copy machine. Actually the Juki is about £500 cheaper than a copy machine. However the copy machine comes with a speed reducer, edge guide and some more accessories. 

My real concern is that 8 year old machine starts to give issues sooner than a new machine. But also I know there are 50-60 year old machines that are still working. 

What do you think? Is it a good idea to go with a Juki original? It's selling for lower than half of its original price if I were to buy it new. 

What model re you talking about? Buying a from a dealer with good reputation can be the key. Is the used one from a private seller? Even new machines from a dealer can cause issues - you never know until things go wrong. It depends on how well the machine is serviced and / or set up to your requirements. I have zero new machines all my machines are vintage and refurbished (more or less). My oldest is from the 1920´s - 1930´s - no problems.

If the Juki lived an easy life in an alterations shop, or residential user, and worked perfectly then it’s a great deal.   I have a 30 year old Juki that had an easy life with a tailor and shows very minor wear.

Unfortunately,  you have to assume it hasn’t had an easy life unless there is evidence to the contrary.    Look it over very carefully for cracks or other indications it’s been dropped.  Many machines with small cracks will sew just fine, but cracks only get worse.  

Either look carefully at the condition of the hook or assume you’ll have to replace it and retime everything.  Damaged hooks are one of the popular reasons people get rid of a machine.

If it was in a factory setting, half price is too much.   A factory maintenance shop will sometimes get some new machines, sell an equal number of well used machines in need of rebuilds, add the worst presser feet, hooks and tensioners that will barely work, and ship them out the door.   

Edited by DonInReno