StickHer

Noobie with question on cutting

A solid base will also increase efficiency. I've given up trying to set rivets on my work table, which started life as a computer desk and is just too flexible for hammering on.

Btw, you can do leather work without stamping... ;)

my tools for stitching are the mallet and chisel 

The awl is silent and the gentle tap for just marking the stitches shouldn't carry through walls either. 

and these are even quieter ~

Stitching pliers, 01s.JPG

until you nip your fingers with them!

what is that fredk

That is a 4-prong/tooth set of stitching hole pliers. I have these 4 prong and set with 2 prongs. You can go around a project and punch stitching holes in it very quickly and very quietly

Limits to them are; you can't go any further in tan about 20mm and the hole size and distance gap is set

You can also get ones with a larger prong for making lacing holes

A good way to get a marble or granite slab is from a kitchen countertop company.  They have many cut-out pieces that are waste.  They would rather give it away than spend $40 per ton to dispose of it in a landfill.  They will cut it to the size you want for a reasonable price.  Two-inch thick is better than a thinner piece.  Three-inches is probably not necessary.

Broken slate pool tables are good.

How to make sound deadening panels, cheap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqodnHxRJ7c&t=1654s

DIY Active Noise Cancellation: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqodnHxRJ7c&t=1654s

At Google Shopping, search for Sound Deadening Material.  Look for a high NRC (Noise Reduction Constant), the percentage of sound that is absorbed by the material.  The first link above details how to make panels from 2" thick rock wool, which has a NRC of near 100%.  Other material less than 1/2" thick has a NRC around 60% and multiple layers can be used.

so i am finally using a "mallet" and a weaver Diamond chisel to punch holes all the way through. the leather im using is cheap thin scraps. but for w.e reason i feel like im putting in much more effort and swings to get the chisel all the way though. some youtube videos ive seen people giving two light/ moderate taps. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I6MZ576/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this is the hammer im using.

is it normal to need a lot of force and maybe 5-7 swings to get a 6 tooth diamond chisel all the way through. 

No, its not normal. Unless you are trying to go through very thick leather

Have you sharpened and polished the chisel teeth?

no i have not polished or sharped, this is the first time using them since purchase. am i supposed to sharpen new diamond chisel out of the box?

plastic cutting board from ikea which is on top of hard kitchen counter top not sure what material the kitchen top is but like a granit 

1 hour ago, StickHer said:

plastic cutting board from ikea which is on top of hard kitchen counter top not sure what material the kitchen top is but like a granit 

Then I can think of no reason that you would have to pound it as you described. Unless the tool is THAT dull.

i dont have the tools to sharpen it atm, idk if weaver sends out dull chisels. any recommendations on sharpening sets/tools

600/800 wet or dry sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle stick. Might go as fine as 1200. Crocus cloth will give it a nice polish.

7 hours ago, StickHer said:

i dont have the tools to sharpen it atm, idk if weaver sends out dull chisels. any recommendations on sharpening sets/tools

We don't know your location so we don't know what terminology you'll understand best. But I think you may be in UK or Europe?

Get some different grades of 'wet & dry' abrasive paper, available from a car accessory/parts shop, eg Halfords, costs about 60p/£1 per sheet. Get 320, 600, 800, 1200

Glue strips of these to lolly sticks (available The Works for about £1 per packet)

use these on the bevels of the chisel teeth/prongs, working from 320 to 1200. But also do all four of the sides of the teeth/prongs. Spend time doing this. A couple of hours or less, not just a minute or two

You should be able to get the chisels really sharp, sharp enough that with a very light pressure they will cut slots into a sheet of writhing paper

and, a personal thing to me; I don't like that sort of mallet. I gave mine away. I prefer a similar one but it has an 'ordinary' shape with flat round faces. Like this one; https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Carving-Hammer-Leathercraft-Cowhide/dp/B07H8BH9JR/ref=pd_rhf_d_dp_s_pd_sbs_rvi_sccl_2_13/143-2905049-6470749?pd_rd_w=VK8cg&content-id=amzn1.sym.a089f039-4dde-401a-9041-8b534ae99e65&pf_rd_p=a089f039-4dde-401a-9041-8b534ae99e65&pf_rd_r=ZGVW9JPVPPPCMSQJG7YJ&pd_rd_wg=Vg0YA&pd_rd_r=c2c5f3fb-02a8-4177-8940-f75a10c8369e&pd_rd_i=B07H8BH9JR&psc=1

I find I can give a better whack with it than the other

thank you for the responses. will go to harbor freight to pick up sand paper and potentially a crocus cloth.   should i also invest in some sort of creams , gels, oils, wax, etc ?

StickHer,

I like to use a Stanley or box cutter knife with premium blades. I strop the blade often on a strop made from a wooden paint can stir stick. Always strop the blade and you won't have to change it often. I use the Harbor Freight Green Compound stick on my strop....it's good and inexpensive at HF. Also, pick up a poly hammer with the screw in heads at HF. Good tools to start with. 

Oh, don't buy sand paper from HF. It is pure junk. Get good 3M sandpaper. 

-JOE

Edited by AlamoJoe2002
Harbor Freight Sand Paper Sucks

2 hours ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

Oh, don't buy sand paper from HF. It is pure junk. Get good 3M sandpaper. 

:17: HF is great for a lot of things, but their sandpaper is garbage.