jadub

Pfaff 1245 or Consew 206RB

Hello, I’m a bit pulling my hair out wondering if I should get a Pfaff 1245 HD, or a Consew 206RB. Just the head in either situation. Obviously the Pfaff is used but is fully refurbished. The price they are asking is $1300. The Consew I guess will be right in the same area. If there is a good reason to spend up to $2K I might be able to do that as well. This machine will make leather bags, leather and waxed canvas bags, wallets and belts. I would very much appreciate help. Thank you!

The price seems high for a 'head only'. A table, motor, thread stand, light, belt and bobbin winder will add about $400 to your machine. The 1245 has a built-in bobbin winder. You should be able to find a complete running machine in this class for $1000-1200 or less. Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines has a brand new Consew 206rb-5 for $1395.

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/consew-206rb.html

Thank you. I think it’s high too. So the two machines are considered to be in the same class?

They are both in the upholstery class of sewing machines. They both sew with #69 to #138 thread. The Pfaff is considered to be a better machine with German design and manufacture. New Pfaff machines are made in China. The Pfaff 1245 may have a slightly higher lift capability but I am not sure. Look up the subclass specification for the Pfaff you are looking at. Parts for the Pfaff will generally be more expensive and harder to find. The Pfaff 1245 castings had some changes over the years. Maybe someone here can elaborate on that. I have a Pfaff 545 H4 that I bought a couple years ago for $150 with table and clutch motor. It is in storage until I can clean it up and service it. The 545 is the predecessor to the 1245. I have two Consew 206RB's that I am using. They were made in 1991 and 1993. I love those machines for some reason. I paid $500 each for those. One needed a new table and they both needed servo motor upgrades from the clutch motors.

Thank you JJN. That's a good endorsement of the 206RB. I'm glad you've found some machines you connect with. I hope to land there and the 206 May turn out to be the one.