thobgood

Hypoallergenic swivel knife?

A friend of mine is allergic to nickel (and about a zillion other things, it seems). He just started leathercraft and is a natural at it, but his skin breaks out when he uses his Tandy swivel knife. I turned him on to silicone fingercots which he says helps a lot, but I'd love to be able to find him a swivel knife that he could use with his bare hands. Does anybody know of a source? Thanks!

Titanium (spendy) or aluminum might be your best bet.  Stainless steel and brass often contain some nickel.  There is nickel-free stainless, but you have to verify with the mfg.

Here’s an aluminum option.

https://chuck-smith-leather-tools.myshopify.com/collections/swivel-knives/products/aluminum-swivel-knife

Chuck Smith also has titanium-coated knives, but you should verify what the base metal is and determine if the coating will protect your friend’s hands.

Good luck!

Springfield Leather Company sells a brass swivel knife

or you/he could dip the one he has in that dip and grip rubberized coating.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Rubberized-Plastic-Coating-Green/dp/B016J1ND9I

Edited by chuck123wapati

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

or you/he could dip the one he has in that dip and grip rubberized coating.

Some are sold with a rubber coating on them for positive grip.  That still wouldn't account for the saddle, which could cause issues.  Perhaps the saddle could also be dipped in plastic coating or covered in tape.  Otherwise, great idea.

veterinarian's tape for horses in red or green. Also used for a thumb guard wrap when wood carving so on each finger tip? check Tractor supply stores or farm stores. .  yellow brass is copper and zinc mix.  

Thin rubber gloves, nurses/doctors gloves.  Gets sweaty after a while but work fine for allergic reactions.  I also second the handle plastic dip stuff.  Thinned, it goes on nicely, and thinly. 

I wonder if heat shrink tubing would work on the body of most tools, swivel knives and stamping tools. 

Leather Wrangler swivel knives are aluminum!

5 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Thin rubber gloves, nurses/doctors gloves.  Gets sweaty after a while but work fine for allergic reactions.  I also second the handle plastic dip stuff.  Thinned, it goes on nicely, and thinly. 

I wonder if heat shrink tubing would work on the body of most tools, swivel knives and stamping tools. 

i use the heat shrink on my home made stamps works fine.

Leather Wranglers are great. I believe they are aluminum and he also has wood and beaded ones

Barry King knives are brass!