TwinBarrelHolster

Looking for ways and what others have done to advertise my holster making services and holster repair/restoration

It's been some time since I've posted anything on this web site, but now I find myself at a loss and would welcome suggestions, recommendations from other leather workers on this site. I was recently asked to remove my leather gun holsters from a well known web platform that I was on for a little over 6 years with a five star rating. It seems as though this web site feels posting leather gun holsters for sale violates their policy and contributes to the sale of firearms. Gun holsters, by their standards and considered an accessory, to guns promotes violence. I've checked a few of the local newspaper outlets in my area and some other means of getting my services advertised and have run into the same issues. I'm a retired law enforcement and insurance investigator and have never promoted violence. I spent my lifetime work career to combat the same. At any rate, I am at a loss as to where I can find an avenue for advertising my skills on a shoe string budget. I do not have my own web page. I've considered it, but have not been able to find a platform that does not nickel and dime expenses for listings, seller fees, etc. If any of you have and suggestions or recommendations, I will listen to any and all. Thanks!

One suggestion may be to stay local. There are a couple of artisan shops in my area where I sell my wares.  Additionally, there is a western wear shop in my area I contacted.  Both shops sell my items on consignment.  Yes, it is a bit slower in sales, and you have to have inventory, but is is some revenue.  You might also approach local gun shops on a consignment basis.  I too have looked at website costs and they do require some up front funds.  Maybe go local for a bit then use the proceeds to fund your site.  

On 5/21/2021 at 11:32 PM, TwinBarrelHolster said:

It's been some time since I've posted anything on this web site, but now I find myself at a loss and would welcome suggestions, recommendations from other leather workers on this site. I was recently asked to remove my leather gun holsters from a well known web platform that I was on for a little over 6 years with a five star rating. It seems as though this web site feels posting leather gun holsters for sale violates their policy and contributes to the sale of firearms. Gun holsters, by their standards and considered an accessory, to guns promotes violence. I've checked a few of the local newspaper outlets in my area and some other means of getting my services advertised and have run into the same issues. I'm a retired law enforcement and insurance investigator and have never promoted violence. I spent my lifetime work career to combat the same. At any rate, I am at a loss as to where I can find an avenue for advertising my skills on a shoe string budget. I do not have my own web page. I've considered it, but have not been able to find a platform that does not nickel and dime expenses for listings, seller fees, etc. If any of you have and suggestions or recommendations, I will listen to any and all. Thanks!

If you don't have one get a web page of some sorts.Alot of people I know go to the local gun ranges & talk with them. You might also try any of your local Sheriffs & City police dept.

Edited by CowboyBob

gun shows, and bulletin boards always get some business especially at the local shooting ranges. Take a drive and hit all the ones around your area, the trips may even be deductible. 

Afraid Artisan's are just like every other manufacturer on the planet earth, you have to run it as a business and that includes marketing / advertising costs. make up a selection of your goods and try and sell them to a third party like retail shops that show a interest in your product. they then do the marketing / advertising for you but it costs you as you sell at a lower rate so they can make the mark up to cover their overheads

Include a label fixed to your good explaining your story on how or why you made and designed this item and you may find the shop customers search you out if they are happy with there purchase from the shop

Every retail outlet is full of items they did not make but just brought in to sell and make a few bucks

Yea, I hear ya about being nickled and dime for trying to sell your goods.     I've of late have not enjoyed using Facebook but as I understand it, they have a very active Facebook Market Place.  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace

I don't know how much it costs to run an ETSY virtual store but that may also be an option.  

I agree with @PastorBob, stay local as much as you can.  My plan is to make up a bunch of flat ware inventory and see what sells best during the Fall time crafts season but that's way down the road...  

Good luck! 

For years I was on GoDaddy.com . . . and was never dissatisfied with their service.

The domain name was one cost . . . the monthly fee was another.  You'll have to check and see what their "today" price is . . . 

No . . . they did not nickel and dime you to death . . . but you had to delete their every two week sales pitch . . . email.

If I went back to a website . . . they would be where I would start . . . they have a real good rep.  

May God bless,

Dwight

May I ask how many holsters gun belts do you sell in a year. Also could you give some sort of idea  where you would like to be this year in sales  $1000  $10000 $1000000 or a million dollars .  Then the answer is simple my Friend. Just not sure what your looking for.