Sign in to follow this  
spacedog

WIP biker style crest/emblem

Work in progress on a biker style of crest or emblem, on which I need to practice more on carving and dying. It feels like I've made so many mistakes on this, but everything is a learning process. I used some dark brown, black, and a little Bordeaux so far, but came away with a disappointingly streaky, and blotchy result. I have gone over the letters with white acrylic paint and will probably do more of that. I left the skull and horns as natural flesh colour since it looks somewhat like bone.

IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5359.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5357.JPG

Looks like a very nice project, good work. Is the patch for a vest back?

Thanks. That was the original idea, making something for the back of a vest or jacket, but since it isn't for a motorcycle club, and there is some etiquette for back patches, it has become more of a practice piece. I thought the antler helmet was a fun idea and came up with the ride north idea since the motorcycle season is short up here. I am going to try and get the maple leaves to look a bit redder than they are now, but it is the background that bothers me the most.

Edited by spacedog

Well I spent some time trying to darken the background so the banners stood out more. The fade was reasonably successful using a dauber, and then I used black antique, after coating the whole thing with super shene. The antique helped darken the whole thing and brought out more detail in the skull and antlers. So for better or worse it is done. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome to help me improve. Please ignore the shadow of my arms in the photo, the lighting on the kitchen table wasn't perfect. Thanks.

IMG_5361.JPG

that came out pretty darn nice, i like it.

Thanks.